Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning my new EX2 mm L/11

Today I got this piece, a EK2 mm. L/11.
    The core is pretty much dryed up, but also dirty as well as the frame.
    Then I desided to clean it.... yes yes.. dont clean and so on...

I resently bought a "ultrasonic cleaner", its filled with ordinary hot water and then I put the cross down in the water 2 x 8 minutes.
    After the ultrasonic cleaning I was cleaning it under the hot water and brushing it smoothly by a teethbrush, the I dryed it wita a hairdryer.
    Finally I gave it a drop of olive oil on the black core.

The cleaning, is only remoing the dirt, not the paint.

Please enjoy the fotos, before and now.
    Any comments are welcome.

Regards Thomas.
    Attached Files
    Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Originally posted by thomas e hansen View Post
    today i got this piece, a ek2 mm. L/11.
    The core is pretty much dryed up, but also dirty as well as the frame.
    Then i desided to clean it.... Yes yes.. Dont clean and so on...

I resently bought a "ultrasonic cleaner", its filled with ordinary hot water and then i put the cross down in the water 2 x 8 minutes.
    After the ultrasonic cleaning i was cleaning it under the hot water and brushing it smoothly by a teethbrush, the i dryed it wita a hairdryer.
    Finally i gave it a drop of olive oil on the black core.

The cleaning, is only remoing the dirt, not the paint.

Please enjoy the fotos, before and now.
    Any comments are welcome.

Regards thomas.
    Attached Files
    Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

Attached Files
      Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

Attached Files
        Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

Attached Files
          Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

Attached Files
            Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

Attached Files
              Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

Attached Files
                Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

Attached Files
                  Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

As a rule, I never touch my EKs with any water, solvent, or type of cleaner at all regardless of how dirty! Such practices can only damage the paint upon the core, rid the frame of patina, and incite rust in areas that could not be dried of moisture. IMHO you are performing a cardinal sin!

Comment

I do not agree with Travlrseasia. There is nothing uglier than a dirty core, or frames for that matter, can't imagine any vet wearing a dirty cross. Thomas method seems very mild, ultrasonic cleaners are used for many delicate objects. Myself i only use water as a last resort, often dirt and dust is easily brushed off with a soft toothbrush. Only oil i use is gun oil to kill rust on corroded cores, rather do that than to see the paint flake off when rust is spreading.

Comment

Thanks for sharing this with Us here, interesting process! It is Your cross in this moment in time so You may do what you like with it!
                        I am of the opinion also of NOT cleaning.... and worse yet getting a Cross wet period! I would be most interested in seeing photos side by side of before and 3-4 years after the cleaning...
                        Little original 60+ year patina will return, however the core may loose the wonderful time and obvious poor storage original finish, And also rust a bit under the frame and remaining finish IMO.
                        Again thanks for posting this Thomas! And this is my opinion only so don't hate me for it! Again it is YOUR Cross in Your care at this moment in time!
                        Best Regards!
                        Kevin

Comment

I'll agree about the fact that it's yours to do with as you please, but.....OLIVE OIL??!!
                          I hope that you reconsider, and wipe as much of it off, as you can....

Cheers,
                          Bob.
                          I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.....

Comment

Originally posted by WEISNER View Post
                            Thanks for sharing this with Us here, interesting process! It is Your cross in this moment in time so You may do what you like with it!
                            I am of the opinion also of NOT cleaning.... and worse yet getting a Cross wet period! I would be most interested in seeing photos side by side of before and 3-4 years after the cleaning...
                            Little original 60+ year patina will return, however the core may loose the wonderful time and obvious poor storage original finish, And also rust a bit under the frame and remaining finish IMO.
                            Again thanks for posting this Thomas! And this is my opinion only so don't hate me for it! Again it is YOUR Cross in Your care at this moment in time!
                            Best Regards!
                            Kevin
                            Thanks for all of you replyes.

I can tell yop that, I am NOT doing this process with all om my crosses and specially not my KC, Im only doing this on "dirty" crosses.
                            Remember that its ONLY the dirt that is coming off, NOT the "rusting" on the frames.

Olive oil. Im using this because I was thinking, that should not be so harmfull and its importent to get the cross well dryed before getting it oiled.
                            Im allways taking good care of this, just like on my guns (hunting).

YES IT MY CROSS,

Regards Thomas.
                            Best regards Thomas.

WWW.CROWMOOR.DK

Comment

with me i only clean the frame never really dealt to much with the paint side, but i would be cautios with ther water and the paint area, it would suck if it got under the paint

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X