Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listing is pulled.

Comment

As most here probably know, the story about a Uboat being found about 60 miles off NJ after remaining there decades without discovery, is true - As is the theory that it was doomed by its own errant torpedo.

How an Iron Cross is supposed to have washed onshore under these circumstances is the mystery.

Comment

Thanks for revealing the truth behind the fabrications. I seem to remember reading an article about that submarine back in the late 70s and seeing a photo of an officers boot with a legbone sticking out of it. Any links to that story? Thanks, Ausgang

Comment

AUSGANG, the one I am refering to is U-869, and was not discovered until the early 1990's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_submarine_U-869

I think there is another that has been known for quite a while, more off the Carolinas though.

Comment

Those damn torpedoes,...when I dot to that part, well I cracked up !

Comment

One spectacular and undisputed incident of a sub sinking itself with its own torpedo was the USS Tang.
              Commanded by the top US Submarine Captain of WW2 Richard O' Kane [who also served in the legendary sub Wahoo], he fired his last torpedo at the close of a very successful patrol off China.
              This last torpedo turned around and got them square amidships.
              Most of the guys on the bridge [was a night time surface attack], including O'Kane, were blown off, and eventually plucked out of the ocean by the Japanese, and survived the war as prisoners.

After an epic & horrendous saga, some aboard, I think about a dozen or so, managed to escape their watery tomb at the nearly impossible to escape alive depth of about 300 ft by using escape methods never before tried, and most of those who survived the escape were also rescued and taken prisoner.
              Some were killed in the attempt, and most, of course, still lay off the coast of China.

I read a book from the library not too long ago about it, I think it was just called "Tang".

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/TopTen...arineCapt.html
              Last edited by Xray; 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ApathyL View Post
                Those damn torpedoes,...when I dot to that part, well I cracked up !
                Interestingly, what made you crack up is likely true, as Doug wrote.
                Last edited by streptile; 05-20-2009, 11:06 PM.
                Best regards,
                Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X