1939 EKII Deschler Round 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
    Thought it was until i saw Fabris cross, his looks to have different paint though?
    I think paint used for my cross is the same used for the early type, I add a pic to compare, tomorrow I try to see them with the day light.
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies.
      I remember now, in that day I have used a yellow base to take pictures , for this reason coulors are not natural in the bottom !!
      I must to take pic with another base, white of course.

Comment

Originally posted by streptile View Post
        Hi Robert.

There are known (or believed) to be 2 makers of the EK1 Round-3. Deschler is one. The other is unknown. There are 3 different pins to be found on the known Deschlers, so one could say there are 4 EK1 R-3 variants all together (3 Deschlers, 1 unknown).

Deschler also made a Round-3 "heavy" version EK2. There are as many as 3 more makers of the R-3 EK2, but possibly as few as one more. There is a lot of speculation, but few hard facts.

What is known is that 4 accepted variants of the R-3 EK2 exist. Three are so-called "heavy" versions, 1 is light.

Some even believe that Deschler made all known variants of the R-3 EK1, but I'm not among them.

Someone will hopefully correct me if I've got any of this wrong.
        Can only comment the EKII's and the versions iv'e heard of are:

'Thick' 22.90 g
        Thicker than the others. Somewhere between 5.05-5.40 mm. Pointy inner corners. Ones i saw had 2 slightly different cores and 2 types of paint.

'Thin' 19.85 g
        With beveled edges and pointy inner corners. Thickness around 4.5mm. Think i saw one of these with stippled core but not sure.

'Swaz on plateau' 17.90 g
        Some got stippled core, can be found without too. There is a definite connection between the thin and this one, doing a study on the R3 EKII's but it's going kinda slow.

'Deschler framed' 23.65 g
        Up to now only knew about one version of these but Fabris seems to have a different core than Roberts/my old one?
        Last edited by Roglebk; 08-11-2009, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
          Carl, is the core of 'your' Deschler magnetic? It looks to be made of a lighter colored metal like zinc.
          It's magnetic, got a very strong pull. Pretty sure it's plated though but you be the judge of that when it arrives. Plating would explain the often found paint chips i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by fabri-online View Post
            I think paint used for my cross is the same used for the early type, I add a pic to compare, tomorrow I try to see them with the day light.
            Nice comparising pic between a Deschler and a 'Thick' version. Here the size difference clearly can be seen, Deschler is a couple of mm's bigger. Both seems to have the same matte paint, similar to the one found on Klein & Quenzer crosses and on the cross that started this thread. Think i was wrong before, the cores on the Deschler seen in this thread are the same imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Roglebk View Post
              Can only comment the EKII's and the versions iv'e heard of are:
              'Thick' 22.90 g
              Thicker than the others. Somewhere between 5.05-5.40 mm. Pointy inner corners. Ones i saw had 2 slightly different cores and 2 types of paint.
              'Thin' 19.85 g
              With beveled edges and pointy inner corners. Thickness around 4.5mm. Think i saw one of these with stippled core but not sure.
              'Swaz on plateau' 17.90 g
              Some got stippled core, can be found without too. There is a definite connection between the thin and this one, doing a study on the R3 EKII's but it's going kinda slow.
              'Deschler framed' 23.65 g
              Up to now only knew about one version of these but Fabris seems to have a different core than Roberts/my old one?
              Thanks, Carl. I was under the impression that the Deschler and the variant with the swastika on a plinth were also considered "heavy." Judging by the weights posted, it seems I am wrong at least on one.

Of course there is also the Schinkelform 'B', which has a rounded '3'.

I also forgot to mention that there is another R-3 EK1 which has a core made from (or plated with) some very shiny silver-like metal (underneath the paint). I think only 2 of these are known (well, to me), and both are in the same collection.

So it seems we've got, as basic variants:

R-3 EK2:

R-3 EK1:
              Best regards,
              Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Hi guys
                you have written infos very interesting !
                Today I have seen my crosses and I can say these cores are identical, as Carl has in his Deschler R3, same production, paint is the same for both and I think the same used for Carls Deschler. So the one difference is frame.
                Here new pic to show frame better, with natural light. What do you think now ? Is really the same you have Carl or is different ?

About my other EKII showed in that thread started by Robert: I can say with certainty that core is different, in my opinion beautiful with these dates and swaz with high definition. I 'll share it soon.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fabri-online View Post
                  So the one difference is frame.
                  Here new pic to show frame better, with natural light. What do you think now ? Is really the same you have Carl or is different ?
                  Hi Fabri, it looks the same but will have a closer look tonight.

Comment

Thank you all - Carl, Trevor, and Fabri, for this excellent help in getting me started in the round 3's. Those links were very helpful. Photos too. I really appreciate the helping hand. I've started the collection with a Deschler offering from Carl, and this beveled edge 'light' from one of my favorite sites...
                    Attached Files

Comment

reverse...
                      Attached Files

Comment

A great start!

For some reason I like these beveled-edge thin versions the best of all of the R-3 EK2s, although I have yet to own a Deschler so perhaps I don't understand its mystique.

There's just something about R-3s that I find fascinating and beautiful, and I love to collect them. I hope you'll feel the same, Robert.

Thanks for showing this one.
                        Best regards,
                        Streptile

Looking for ROUND BUTTON 1939 EK1 Spange cases (LDO or PKZ)

Comment

Thanks Trevor,

I'll get some clean sharp photos of it when it arrives. I think Carl already did a wonderful job photographing his Deschler. Please don't mention EKI's until I have all of the EKII round 3's.

Comment

Very nice Robert Excellent start to your "round 3" collection.

Comment

Thank you Joe,

I've got a lot to learn regarding these new crosses. And, I feel very fortunate to have so much help going into it.

Comment

R3

Robert,

I would suggest once you get the majority of EKII round 3s you start on EKI as the hardest EKII is the Schinkel-B which took me a long time to find. Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X