• Show
Clear All

nice
    but you could make one for a lot less
    regards
    jon

Comment

Hi Eric,

It is tough for me to tell from the pictures, but I do not believe that your 800/65 font is the same as is found on K&Q RK Loops. Here is photo of my K&Q RK loop font for comparison. -Ger

Originally posted by dc9 View Post
      Note on the loop that the "800" is double stamped - once in each direction, but both at the end of the loop. Not sure if this suggests that an earlier "800" only K&Q loop was later restamped "800 65" ...
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by George Stimson View Post
        The doc for the guy's EK 1....

George, have you noticed that there is a misspelling in the awards document ?

"Verleiungsurkunde" instead "Verleihungsurkunde"....

Comment

Ger,

I would agree - the fonts are different on the loop. I've compiled the following side by side comparisons of the loop and the ring. The MM on the ring of my "converted" cross also appears to be a different font than the loop, and different from the K&Q loop found in Dietrich Maerz's The Knights Cross of the Iron Cross.

I also compiled two ring MM stamps - one from the "converted," and one from another K&Q EK2 in my collection; and I am pretty sure those are the same font - one is a deeper strike than the other. The EK2s are certainly the same.

Out of curiousity, I did a search on "65" and found a ring MM stamp on an Ostmedaille currently for sale on eStand (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=378785 posting #3) that appears to have a different font from all the above in that it has a "blob" at the tail end of the "5" (similar to the converted loop). Better lighting on the MM would may reveal something different.

Either way, it is a nice piece in my collection and nothing I am getting rid of soon, as it is the closest I am going to get to KC (for now).

Eric

P.S. Mr. Happy - sorry to distract from the original intent of your posting - I am certainly willing to discuss this further with those interested, but it would probably be better serving to create a new thread on the discussion.

Comment

Loops side-by-side
            Attached Files

Comment

Ring MM Comparison
              Attached Files

Comment

MM65 Stamp on Ostmedaille at http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=378785 posting #3
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Eric,

I agree - different fonts. Despite this, I do really like your field converted cross. It is a keeper, in my opinion. It has a personality that mine does not. FWIW, I have a K&Q EK2 in my collection that I purchased with no ring, but the cross itself was in excellent condition - it looked like someone had pulled the ring off. I ended up purchasing a replacement silver ring from a jeweler that matches an original in all ways (except it is more shiny and has no "65" stamped in it). Not bad for $40 for the cross and $6 for the ring and I do not consider this repair to have detracted from the $40 that I paid for it - and it has personality. You should be very happy with your EK2/RK, I would be. -Ger

Originally posted by dc9 View Post
                  Ger,

I would agree - the fonts are different on the loop. I've compiled the following side by side comparisons of the loop and the ring. The MM on the ring of my "converted" cross also appears to be a different font than the loop, and different from the K&Q loop found in Dietrich Maerz's The Knights Cross of the Iron Cross.

I also compiled two ring MM stamps - one from the "converted," and one from another K&Q EK2 in my collection; and I am pretty sure those are the same font - one is a deeper strike than the other. The EK2s are certainly the same.

Out of curiousity, I did a search on "65" and found a ring MM stamp on an Ostmedaille currently for sale on eStand (http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=378785 posting #3) that appears to have a different font from all the above in that it has a "blob" at the tail end of the "5" (similar to the converted loop). Better lighting on the MM would may reveal something different.

Either way, it is a nice piece in my collection and nothing I am getting rid of soon, as it is the closest I am going to get to KC (for now).

Eric

P.S. Mr. Happy - sorry to distract from the original intent of your posting - I am certainly willing to discuss this further with those interested, but it would probably be better serving to create a new thread on the discussion.

Comment

Thank you Ger! Yes, I am happy with it and display it proudly - as you say it has "personality!"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X