Very Strange W&L EK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dion,

IMO, your cross is a G. Brehmer. His cores have the swastika sitting up on a pedestal, as yours. The frame and core are from Brehmer. This is a very strange place to see an original W&L ring stamp, on a Brehmer cross!

Robert
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLuudje View Post
      Please tell me your theory.
      Like I said before the EK2 is IMO still mady by Gustav Brehmer.

Brehmer frames have also these wide flanges.
      My mm13 next to my mm44 shows exactly the same difference like on your picture.

The only thing what is strange is the paint and the ring of a W&L.
      This kind of glossy, textured paint I haven't seen before on a Brehmer EK2.
      Doesn't mean it's painted postwar, but based on these pic's I don't like it.
      Ive seen every repaint under the sun on EK2s and this one is definitely not a repaint. Also people get carried away lately on repaints and I have seen a lot of glossy EK2s that were not repainted.

I do think it is Brehmer also, my theory is not that good because it applies more to combat worn pieces, I believe the manufacturers took pieces back and repaired them, this loop if replaced was not done by a private person IMO, I believe it was redone by the firma. I know it sounds crazy but I think so.
      Iam Uncle Sam
      That’s who Iam
      Been hiding out
      In a rock and roll band

Comment

Interesting theory. It could well be.
        But that would mean that in this case W&L took pieces back to repair them.
        Strange, but who now's what happend.

But I have seen may repaires on TR items that IMO have been wartime.

I edited your pictures to look at the paint.
        The paint could be wartime, but very hard to judge on these pics.
        The glossy paint is more rare but still common. But the texture was bothering me.

Sadly I can not post pictures anymore, but I have two mm113's.
        One has the regular paint, the other has exactly the same glossy and TEXTURED paint as your mm13 (and IMO wartime paint).

like I said before: It's still an interesting cross to me.

Comment

Interesting theory. It could well be.
          But that would mean that in this case W&L took pieces back to repair them.
          Strage, but who now's what happend.

But I have seen may repaires on TR items that IMO have been wartime.

I edited your pictures to look at the paint.
          The paint could be wartime, but very hard to judge on these pics.
          The glossy paint is more rare but still common. But the texture was bothering me.

Sadly I can not post pictures anymore, but I have two mm113's.
          One has the regular paint, the other has exactly the same glossy and TEXTURED paint as your mm13 (and IMO wartime paint).

like I said before: It's still an interesting cross to me.
          Hello NL!

Its a weird theory but anything is possible. I stick by the paint job, to repaint it like this the whole cross would have to be taken apart. This did not happen IMO . All I can come up with is the same as you, an interesting piece. I guess thats what makes the hobby fun anymore
          Iam Uncle Sam
          That’s who Iam
          Been hiding out
          In a rock and roll band

Comment

also if you want me to post the pics, send them to dion1@gmx.de
            Iam Uncle Sam
            That’s who Iam
            Been hiding out
            In a rock and roll band

Comment

Originally posted by münster View Post

I stick by the paint job, to repaint it like this the whole cross would have to be taken apart. This did not happen IMO .
              I agree, the paint looks good and the frames don't look like they have come apart at any time. My opinion is that it is that the original ring was lost at some point and it has been replaced (professionally) but when and by who I guess we will never know.

Comment

.......Sadly I can not post pictures anymore.........
                That's because your membership has expired

Comment

I know Darrel, but PayPal is not accepted anymore, so I don't see another way to pay.
                  Dion I have 2 old pictures in my file, that illustrates that this kind of paint has been used and both are IMO wartime I will send them to you in a minute and you can use them if you want.

Interesting piece it is.
                  Just a good feeling that it has been repaired wartime.
                  The repaires nowadays are done on a way you cannot see that it has been repaired at all, this has been done to obvious.
                  And why would someone use an original ring what is marked from another maker? Nobody can't be that stupid if someone want to make money with this ek.

Comment

I know Darrel, but PayPal is not accepted anymore, so I don't see another way to pay.....

aaahh .. ok .... just follow these easy steps Works just as easy as PayPal and everyone here uses this method now ...

1. Look at the top Right of the screen for A.MEMBER link.

2. Click on the drop down window that appears.

3. Select the 365 Days option.

4. Click the ORDER button.

5. Click on the ORDER USING AUTHORIZE.NET button.

6. Fill in the pertinant information (including you USER ID which is your Forum Name), then click SUBMIT TRANSACTION button. This will register you.

That's it <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

Comment

I personally don't know what all the stir is about over the glossy paint. I see no evidence that it's been repainted or disassembled. I have a number of Brehmer EKII's with the same paint gloss, and others by different makers with glossy highlights.

Edit: I'd better edit this statement. My Brehmer crosses are semi-gloss compared to your cross. My thinking on this would be that this cross of yours is very early, when glossy paint was used.

There is never going to be any way to find out what really happened to the ring. Whether it was repaired during or after the war, and by who, will remain a mystery.

It's a beautiful Brehmer cross.

Robert
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by robert pierce; 04-26-2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X