EpicArtifacts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting EKI with die flaws - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cores (dates) look identical. I think we see real evidence that both of our crosses came from the same frame and core dies...flaws look to match very closely...

Robert
    Attached Files

Comment

Though my cross is in mint condition, both cores look to have the same texture and paint. The latewar silver-plating over nickel silver frames. Cores fit their frames precisely the same...

Robert
      Attached Files

Comment

Something that 'LuckyLuudje' taught me about his L/57 crosses, which I see on mine, is a 'yellowish' varnish on the reverse side of the crosses. Here are two of his examples, his permission given to illustrate...

Robert
        Attached Files

Comment

This yellow varnish is very visible on this mint piece. This varnish, in the beginning, gave me the connection with L/57. BTW, Anthony, I noticed the solid hinge pin on your cross. Many of the L/57's I have seen had the hollow tube for a pin.

Robert
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's an intertesting thread on the L/54...
            http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ght=L%2F54+EKI

The die flaws seem to blend in with what I see on our crosses, Anthony, at least on the 3:00 o'clock arm. Take a look and see what you come up with.

Here's my cross for reference...

Robert
            Attached Files

Comment

Great work Robert
              I wish i had taken better pictures on my EK, might try tomorrow if it's not raining.
              I can see what you mean about the L/54, for me at least it's impossible to tell it apart from an L/57, as you say the die flaws look the exactly the same & in the same places.
              Fascinating stuff.
              I will also check out the rear of mine for any yellow varnish, i definitely need some outdoors photos.
              Always learning!
              Ant.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony N View Post
                Great work Robert
                I wish i had taken better pictures on my EK, might try tomorrow if it's not raining.
                I can see what you mean about the L/54, for me at least it's impossible to tell it apart from an L/57, as you say the die flaws look the exactly the same & in the same places.
                Fascinating stuff.
                I will also check out the rear of mine for any yellow varnish, i definitely need some outdoors photos.
                Always learning!
                Ant.
                Ant,

We never quit learning. I am still searching for more clues.

Robert

Comment

A few parting comments - These L/57's and L/54's are, and have been problematic. You can find L/57's today in numbers. Detlev has (2) on his site right now, numbers 01616 and 14989. Interestingly, they both appear to have paint on their frames. I'm also seeing numbers on other sites in mint condition with paint on their frames as well, marked L/57. But these pieces lack the heavily flawed frames. There are a lot of unanswered concerns with these. Are we being bombarded with fakes? One question - did L/54 supply components for L/57's cross manufacturing? Did L/57 use their cores in the heavily-flawed L/54 frames? Both frame details are identical, as we see in Godet and Zimmermann. And, we also see L/54's with the same cores L/57 used - the odd '1' in 1939. And, they also shared the same pin assemblies. There are a lot of theories surrounding these two makers, and I know in previous threads we have beat this subject to death. Here is an interesting cross brought to my attention by Luckyluudje, a 1939 1914 EKI, marked L/54, with heavily-flawed frame. The flaws are very similar to the unmarked mint cross I posted. I ask the question again - did L/54 provide parts and pieces for the wartime L/57 construction? ...

Robert
                  Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X