Vintage Productions

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting EKI with die flaws - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting EKI with die flaws - Opinions?

Picked up this unmarked EKI, looked at it with an eye loupe & could see what seems to be die flaws on three arms.
    Any idea on a maker for it?
    Any other opinions would be very interesting.
    Thanks for looking, Anthony.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Anthony N; 04-15-2008, 06:49 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Biggest flaw all around the date
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Last picture.
              This one has fascinated me, unlike any other EK i have.
              Attached Files

Comment

Some of the features I had on mine look exactly like this one, and it was an S&L, and believe it or not mine actually had a little knock on the left side too, like its bent! very random I must say

James M

Comment

Originally posted by don-zamo View Post
                  Some of the features I had on mine look exactly like this one, and it was an S&L, and believe it or not mine actually had a little knock on the left side too, like its bent! very random I must say

James M
                  Thanks James.
                  Recently picked up a nice KVKI which someone tried to vault but gave up after one arm!
                  These oddities always interest me.
                  Ant.

Comment

Judging by the "3" in the date, I think this is an L/54...might be wrong, but try a search for that.

best
                    Hank

EDIT: Oops, see here: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ghlight=L%2F54 May be an L/57.
                    Last edited by Hank Cummings; 04-15-2008, 08:13 AM. Reason: more info
                    Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                    ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Interesting cross, isn't it, Hank? That old thread beings back memories. Looking though our data base I see two cores in the L/54 EK's, one with the L/57 '1' in 1939, the other with what I would normally consider to be a typical L/57 1939 date...
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/iron.../l_54/L_54.htm

And, both are definately marked L/54. It's becoming obvious L/54 used two cores, and this really causes some confusion in judging between the two because the '1' in 1939 is identical to the L/57. The frames of both the L/54 and L/57 look identical. The round wire catch is something I associate with the L/57.

Let me post a view of my L/57's lower frame flaws...

Robert
                      Attached Files

Comment

L/57's round wire catch...

Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

AndiK makes this statement...

"its the setup of L/54 and L/57. Both marker have used the same hardware and different catch/pin variants too.

Hard to say L/54 ore L/57.

regards
                          Andreas"

Hmmm... in this case it may be hard to truly identify this cross without a maker mark. I see the same die flaws in your cross, Anthony, as in mine. Heavy die flaws on three arms. Obviously our crosses came from the same dies. But, which maker I am beginning to wonder myself. I'll do some searching for a marked L/57 OR an L/54 with the same flaws. I thought this was settled long ago, but we need something really concrete to rest on. I think the flaws on a marked cross will give us what we need.

Robert<!-- / message -->

Comment

Thanks Hank & Robert, you guys never cease to amaze me!
                            To my less experienced eyes Robert your L/57 & my unmarked cross could be twin brothers.
                            I'm going to check out the L/54's too
                            Thanks, Ant.

Comment

Anthony,

I think it's safe to say that our frames came from the same die. Yours show a later stage with more advanced die breakage, with cracks running longitudinally in the valleys of the beading at 10:00 and elsewhere of the swastika. The swastika of both crosses look identical in detail.

Robert
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X