Ek2 Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ek2 Discussion

I firmly believe, the EK2 lost its prestige towards the end of the war, looking at figures awarded from 1944 onwards until 45. In 39 the iron cross was something to aspire too, and earn and it was treated with respect, but as more and more were being awarded I believe it lost its prestige, as Hitler Youth were being awarded this award too, it must have made real german soldiers feel, 'well what was all that for then'.
    Im just seeing who agrees with me.
    In the german army happy times, conquering countries in a matter of weeks or months, you might come across a company of soldiers and only a few would have this award, but then maybe in 44,45, everyone had it. Ofcourse there is the factor of, as germany was crumbling away, people were performing higher acts of bravery more frequently, then that would explain the sudden rise in award figures.
    Im rubbish at explaining how I view things so I do apologise, id just like to see who else feels this way. All criticisms welcome, id like to see what other people believe

Regards to you all

James M

The EK still had to be earned, the awardee had to be recommended.

I bet the awardee (well the majority) still felt proud when awarded the EK11.

If a young HJ took on a couple of tanks with panzerfausts and blew them up, I reckon he deserved his EK11.

Allan
    Looking for information on RKT KARL HUBER
    Stoßtruppführer AufKlAbt 20 (mot.)

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'

Comment

Youve watched DownFall havnt you Allan? I saw the HJ kid get awarded the EK2. You bring up an intresting point, each EK2 had to be recommended and therefor had to be earned like everyone else, but other than the invasion of Germany, what other reasons were there for the EK being awarded so much?

James M

Comment

I agree 100% with allan .

Comment

When you are on the advance, counting victories, the individual soldier had to be singled out, for achievement, to be awarded the Iron Cross.

When the was was a defensive fight, being pushed back into Germany, the fighting became even more fierce and the soldiers distinguished themselves because the other alternative was death, capture and defeat.

I would doubt the soldier, fighting, in the last days, was any less fierce than those soldiers in the early years of victories.

I respect those who are singled out for valor awards, whether on the offense, or defense.

I have never met a German soldier who was not proud of his Iron Cross 2nd Class.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Dont get me wrong, i never said no german soldier was proud of his award, its just that in the figures that were awarded it seemed like the award lost its special place as it were, but it was different times to the early days.

James M

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X