UniformsNSDAP

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KVK 1 Screw Back Steinhauer & Luck: Real or Fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KVK 1 Screw Back Steinhauer & Luck: Real or Fake?

Any help on this one would be appreciated. I've searched all of the threads here and can't find anything on KVK 1 sunburst screw backs. This one has mm "4" on reverse of cross. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

KVK 1 Sunburst Screw Back Pic #2

Reverse of KVK 1 shown above.
    Attached Files

Comment

KVK 1 Sunburst Screw Back Pic #3

Final pic of KVK 1 shown above. Note "4" mm on lower arm.
      Attached Files

Comment

This one is a Floch I'm afraid. The 4 doesn't look like the real mm4 and has probably imo been added later on to spread a little confusion.

Please compare your cross with the one I've posted and notice the small dots at the base on both sides of the upper right hand sword.

On a sidenote, why do we suddenly have all those Floch kvk1's showing up with different mm's like 1,4, 65 etc? Coincident or.....?
        Attached Files

Comment

I think people are adding the marks because marked pieces always bring more money. Sad thing is, anyone with any sense would have tried to add an LDO mark to this to make it more realistic.
          Last edited by Steve Campell; 01-31-2008, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Steve is correct. I wouldn't think that you should see a PKZ number on an award variation (screwback) that was not used on officially awarded pieces.
            George

Comment

KVK 1 Sunburst Screw Back

So does that mean that there are sunburst screw examples just like this that are authentic? Is it the mm "4" that makes this a fake, or does anyone have an authentic sunburst example like this? George... you sound a bit undecided. What do you think of the basic form of it if the maker mark wasn't there? Thanks for the help.

Comment

If I came across as undecided I didn't mean to. I think this piece is bad.
                And as for the sunburst plate, I've never seen on one an authentic wartime KVK. (But I've seen plenty of them on Floch reproduction Iron Crosses.)
                George

Comment

KVK 1 Sunburst Screw Back

When I look at Frank's example, I don't see the difference from the one I've posted pics of... except for the mm. Steinhauer never used a stamped 4 like this?

Comment

I've never seen one on a KVK either. There are however known versions of EK1s by Deumer that are considered legit with the sunburst, or as I call them clamshell discs. However, many Floch fakes have used this disc, leading it too have a bad reputation. It was used legitimatly on WW1 Iron Crosses. What about the EK1 spanges? I believe I saw one with a sunburst disc. Are these legit?

Comment

Kvk 1

George,

Got it. Thanks for the help. If you don't like the form of it itself that satisfies me. I've always thought that one can do anything with the mm, but if the form of the badge itself is wrong the whole thing is likely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Mateo View Post
                        George,

Got it. Thanks for the help. If you don't like the form of it itself that satisfies me. I've always thought that one can do anything with the mm, but if the form of the badge itself is wrong the whole thing is likely wrong.
                        That's a good question. The obverse of a EK1 floch has distinct features. What about this KVK, or has someone added a clamshell disc and a phoney maker mark to a legit screwback KVK1, because they do actually exist.

Comment

Right now I don't have a good S&L KVK to compare this one to. Maybe someone else can compare the characteristics of an accepted S&L pinback to those of this screwback.
                          George

Comment

Please note, George did not have an actual example of a given medal. This you don't see much. Here's a couple of OK pics of 4 marked KVK1s I have, one with and one without swords.
                            Attached Files

Comment

This is one without swords.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X