Worn vs. Mint????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
    Thank you, Mike. Cellophaned cannot be beat. My goodness.

Steve, beautiful cross. There are no other awards in the world that compare with TR high awards.

Thank you,
    Robert
    If we're talking strictly WWII, I would have to agree. If we're comparing all periods, then I'll take Imperial Russian enamels for $500, Alex .

Staying on topic, worn vs. minty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I'd much rather have an award that was given to someone who earned it, rather than something that was "liberated" from a dusty factory shelf at the end of the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Ehrenkreutz View Post
      If we're talking strictly WWII, I would have to agree. If we're comparing all periods, then I'll take Imperial Russian enamels for $500, Alex .

Staying on topic, worn vs. minty is in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I'd much rather have an award that was given to someone who earned it, rather than something that was "liberated" from a dusty factory shelf at the end of the war.
      A fellow member came across a veteran recently who let him purchase his personal Luftwaffe grouping from him. He was a fighter pilot, yes. In his possession was a mint Deumer pilot badge, cased still. The vet said he put this piece away for formal wear only and purchased another pilot badge to wear in the 'field'. Not all of what we think came from the 'factory shelf' actually did. It was regulation to wear your awards in the finest condition possible. I believe many of these finer pieces we see today came from vets who 'put them away'. And, I believe a lot of these came back with the liberating forces as well. At any rate, It's good to see the mint examples of these awards, as they were (or were not) presented in their day.

Robert

Comment

I'll just continue to flog the dead horse..

I don't know..

I only collect patinated pkz EKII:s, cause there's a chance they've been presented to the average Joe for valor, or as in many cases, to somebody who gave his life at the front..

This hasn't got anything to do with anything else than the fact that I collect combat awards.. Of course, some vets kept their awards in good shape over the years, but I guess from the numbers awarded, and the number of non mint pieces, there's a much greater chance that an EKII with some patina actually was awarded..

Plus of course, IMO, they look ahellovalot better..

Comment

For me a mint condition award comes much closer to the actual moment of the award ceremony in history.

I agree with what Mike said earlier as well, that a lot or at least a considerable amount of "worn"-condition awards look so, because of unfavourable treatment and storage during the approx. 65 years after WWII.

Now I am a paper collector and have only very few awards, but the majority also in mint condition, cellophaned, paper wrapped and boxed...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X