1st Pattern Spange - EK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Robert,

Thanks again for your help. I did make a quick search of the forum but will undertake a more thorough investigation. If I find anything of interest, I will post here.

All the best,
    Toby.

Comment

Hi Toby
      Interesting spange, and as you've heard doesn't quite match up with the known 1st patterns. Kinda crude, but that's no red flag. Finish looks believeable, pins look strange. I'd like a full look at the reverse too
      I'm fighting off my negative thoughts here, and I wish I had an easy answer
      I think we've just got to wait and see, if it was $30 I'd take it and pray, anything else I wouldn't risk it
      regards
      jon

Comment

Finally, following some pc problems, a photo of the reverse.

@ Robert, and Jon, - what are your thoughts now? I don't know if you can see it in the photo but there are couple of pimples on the reverse and a small circular mark (reminiscent of a die ejector mark though much smaller than the ones seen on Assmann Paras).

Thanks and all the best,
        Toby.
        Attached Files

Comment

All I can go on is gut feelings, and I've looked and looked and looked at this one.
          Others may like it. It could turn out good. But for me, right now... I wouldn't want it in my collection. My reasons would be: not a known design, general roughness, repro-like prongs, rough reverse, ejector marks! and I 'think' I've seen fakes with this kind of silver/brass finish (ss skulls?) Not too much to go on I know.
          Maybe bump this up now and then, and another will emerge which would help
          regards
          jon

Comment

This forum is all about research, yet we must stay with what is considered our 'absolute'. Like jon stated, let's put it on the shelf and see if any others emerge. I'm one to stay with known examples, playing it safe. It's my nature. Like I said before I'm not going to accept or reject it on my 'feelings'. It has to fall within the guidelines of what has previously been documented as an original piece before I would buy it, at the same time I'm not closing the door to research.

Robert

Comment

A really strange looking one.
              Some parts look really nice, but the beak, and the back really raises some red flag.

Not one that I would pay a full price for.

/Flemming

Comment

@ Jon, Robert, Flemming,

Many thanks for replying. Whilst it would appear it is not possible to dismiss the spange outright, it would certainly look to sit in a grey area, pending further research.

Thanks for all your help.

All the best,
                Toby.

Comment

1st Pattern Spange - EK2

Hi

Here is a link to my EK2 spange

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=182064

Andy

Comment

In post 7 in this link:
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=76898

You can see my 3 1st pattern spange.
                    Let me know if you want better pictures.

/Flemming

Comment

Originally posted by Flemming View Post
                      In post 7 in this link:
                      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=76898

You can see my 3 1st pattern spange.
                      Let me know if you want better pictures.

/Flemming
                      That's a nice gaggle of birds. It looks as if they just came off of the tunics. Very nice pieces, every one!

Robert

Comment

all nice birds, but still no match to TobyR's...
                        regards
                        jon

Comment

I think I have seen a 1st pattern spange with a similar head at one time, but I can't remember where. But the back of this one does really not match what I would except from an original.

/Flemming

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X