KC Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KC Question

Did the quality start to suffer on late war pieces vs earlier pieces?

Erich, that has been the 'dealer's cop out' for years...in attempt to explain poorly made reproductions etc etc.
    Another falsehood put forth was the lack of IRON and SILVER.

The quality of Knight's Crosses actually got better when one compares early vs mid to late!
    Regards,
    Dave

Comment

Really....I guess you learn something new every day.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks

Comment

I'm sure that anyone who has chased these things has heard...

* the crooked core is because of the rush, demand and interupted production

* the non-iron core is because of the shortage of iron late in the war

* the frame is brass...again shortage of precious metals

* it's different because it's jeweler made as an extra...the owner didn't want to lose his original
          Regards,
          Dave

Comment

And...

* I've been in the business for 45 years, and I know more than any of those so-called "website experts"

* It comes with a COA from _______ (name your favorite dealer)

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Scott C. View Post
              And...

* I've been in the business for 45 years, and I know more than any of those so-called "website experts"

* It comes with a COA from _______ (name your favorite dealer)

Scott

....and I thought that I was being facitious!
              Regards,
              Dave

Comment

and don't forget the classic:

"...these cases are real because I've made more posts about RK's than anyone else on this forum..."
                Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
                Decorations of Germany

Comment

Take a look at the very early unmarked Juncker crosses, loose non-ferrous cores, non-silver frames with sloppy soldering; and compare them with the very late '2' marked crosses - a world of difference in quality!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Kane View Post
                    ....and I thought that I was being facitious!

...and....I do not collect these, don't have any know how about these...but in my opinion it's not real...
                    Pieter.
                    SUUM CUIQUE ...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pieter Verbruggen View Post
                      ...and....I do not collect these, don't have any know how about these...but in my opinion it's not real...
                      Pieter.
                      That's a classic. Maybe another thread can and should be started after this comment. But during my visit to the friday morning feeding frenzy, D. had a 935 4 marked cross with documentation. Thier is a photo of the Leutnant wearing an RK, but with my eyes I can't tell if it is the same one. It looks like it. Seems to be a very nice personal collection of citations and awards. Anyway, just curious as to any comments about this RK.

Comment

Originally posted by ekhunter View Post
                        That's a classic. Maybe another thread can and should be started after this comment. But during my visit to the friday morning feeding frenzy, D. had a 935 4 marked cross with documentation. Thier is a photo of the Leutnant wearing an RK, but with my eyes I can't tell if it is the same one. It looks like it. Seems to be a very nice personal collection of citations and awards. Anyway, just curious as to any comments about this RK.

...This KC offered by Detlev is the late war 935 4 S&L cross. To me these 935 4 crosses are the nicest ones of the S&L series. This particular cross is a fine and correct example of this type.
                        Pieter
                        SUUM CUIQUE ...
                        sigpic

Comment

Is this the 935 4 Grail

Originally posted by Pieter Verbruggen View Post
                          ...This KC offered by Detlev is the late war 935 4 S&L cross. To me these 935 4 crosses are the nicest ones of the S&L series. This particular cross is a fine and correct example of this type.
                          Pieter
                          I agree with you about the beauty of these particular Rk's. I guess my point is that their has always been sceptics of the late war S&L's, particularly guys like PK and a few others. I've always liked these Rk's, and I remember(hopefully correctly) a while back that Kevin V. had a photo of a recipient wearing a cross, the particular recipient had a 935 4 marked cross, and their was much discussion about whether the cross in the photo, and the cross in possession were the same. I think Kevin sought that age old quest of provenance with this photo. I guess my point is w/o assuming too much, but, would it(provenance) not be right here before us in this particular grouping that D. has?

Comment

Originally posted by ekhunter View Post
                            I agree with you about the beauty of these particular Rk's. I guess my point is that their has always been sceptics of the late war S&L's, particularly guys like PK and a few others. I've always liked these Rk's, and I remember(hopefully correctly) a while back that Kevin V. had a photo of a recipient wearing a cross, the particular recipient had a 935 4 marked cross, and their was much discussion about whether the cross in the photo, and the cross in possession were the same. I think Kevin sought that age old quest of provenance with this photo. I guess my point is w/o assuming too much, but, would it(provenance) not be right here before us in this particular grouping that D. has?

...the 935 4 S&L crosses are original wartime pieces, I will not even discuss this. Same as for the two hinged cases a lot of these came in.
                            Pieter.
                            SUUM CUIQUE ...
                            sigpic

Comment

Detlev has stated that pre 45 provenance exits for the 935/4 as well as the rarer 800/4.................Jimmy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X