Differences between EK1 and EK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, Welcome and here is some free advice

Hi there...I started here a few months ago and I am sure some of the guys thought I stayed up all night thinking up stupid questions to ask. However, each and every one was answered. I've even made a few good friends here now.

My advise is to buy only off the estand here for awhile. In fact some members buy only from here because the items are good and so are the prices. I didn't do that when I started as I hadn't found this site at that time. I got stung with some fakes that looked so darn good. Not just EK either. War badges as well. You run a significant risk of being taken for a ride at the militaria shows. There are lots of good guys at the shows but just enough not so good ones as to make it a real risk for a newbie. No offence meant but if you are asking how to tell an EKI from and EKII then you are very much a newbie. No shame in that by the way. As was said by one of the others, we were all there at one time and periodically find ourselves back there when we enter a new area of collection. I just learned today the difference between red feet and black feet on a Lubeck Cross. Whole new area to me.

You need to get yourself a good digital camera. Take photo's of what you plan to buy (if not from the estand) then post them for opinion. All reputable dealers will allow that these days. If they don't then move on.

Don't rush. Awards were made in the millions. They are fun to collect but you will quickly sour of the hobby if you get burned, so take your time.

If you need help just ask for it. I'm at a stage now where I can assist with some of the basic questions, which is fun for me and is paying back a bit for all the help I got, and the Forum is full of people far more knowledgeable than I who will jump in when the need arises.

By the way...have a good look at post #5. That's a Souval frame cross. A very nice authentic TR period one I might add. You should certainly read Peter Wikings Souval Frame article here on the site before getting into that type of cross.

Kind Regards,
    Stu

Comment

I am definetly boneing up on my reading. Its a whole new world everytime you get into a new hobby. I just order Lumsden's Detecting the Fakes book and hope to be reviewing that soon. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by SurvivingPanzer View Post
        I am definetly boneing up on my reading. Its a whole new world everytime you get into a new hobby. I just order Lumsden's Detecting the Fakes book and hope to be reviewing that soon. Thanks for all the help!
        If you want to read up on EKs you should invest in something like G.Williamson's "The Iron Cross of 1939" and S.Previtera's "The iron time". If you look in the photos forum you will find plenty of photos showing Ek1s and EK2s in wear which will illustrate the wearing of these.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryG View Post
          If you want to read up on EKs you should invest in something like G.Williamson's "The Iron Cross of 1939" and S.Previtera's "The iron time". If you look in the photos forum you will find plenty of photos showing Ek1s and EK2s in wear which will illustrate the wearing of these.
          Hello

For good reference books on the Iron Cross I totally agree with TerryG, and In addition to Gordon and Stephens book would add 'The Prussian and German Iron Cross' by Vern Bowen.

As Benjamin Franklin said:

If a man empties his purse into his head, no man can take it away from him. An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.

Wise words indeed.

Regards
          David

Comment

Originally posted by SurvivingPanzer View Post
            Please be aware though, this book is very dated now while providing an interesting read and some good pointers on the basics, this is not the book to read (with the greatest respect to Robin) if you want to thoroughly learn how to 'detect the fakes'.
            The best way to learn is to keep checking here on the forum as this place is the fastest way to keep up with the many, many fakes on the market. It has new information daily which no author, publisher etc can hope to keep up with.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryG View Post
              If anyone knows where I can find a copy of this title (its over $150 on Amazon) I might be willing to purchase it (after all the books I bought in the last four days I'm more in the 35-45 dollar range). Unfortunately my local library does not have a copy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X