Differences between EK1 and EK2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differences between EK1 and EK2

Pardon me for posting such a basic question but as you can see I'm fairly new to this forum. I'm looking to get into TR medal collecting and am planning on visiting a Militaria show in early May. I've read the articles on this main site regarding the EK2 and EK1 but am still unsure how to determine if a medal is an EK1 or EK2. If no accompaning paperwork in present how can I determine through physical means whether a vendor is really selling an EK1 or just an overpriced EK2? There must be some way to distinhguish them in the field.

Thank you.

Hello Mr Panzer, welcome to the forum and a word of warning, one EK will lead to another and another and another.......
    If you go to the home page and use the index in the top left it will take you to the reference pages for the Iron Cross series, it is definitely worth reading as a new collector and provides all the information you are looking for in your question.
    Basically, an EK2 differs from an EK1 as it is suspended from a ribbon and an EK1 has either a pin or a screw device on the back.
    The EK2 was worn just as a ribbon through the buttonhole or as a ribbonbar the medal itself was never worn day to day. You will find them court mounted for ceremonial purposes.
    The EK1 was worn permanantly on the left breast, attached to the tunic by the pin or screwback device.
    From a visual point of view, the EK2 will have a ribbon ring on its top arm and will have the core visible from the back and the EK1 will have a plain back with the fixing device.
    Please do yourself a favour though and read the Iron Cross articles as the explain things in greater detail as well as with photos. Whatever you do, please make sure you do the homework before going to any militaria show and spending cash on anything. If in doubt, walk away and come back here. There are many EKs for sale on the estand if you want to start out with a good one!
    Happy collecting!

Comment

Ek_2
      Attached Files
      Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Comment

EK_2 reverse
        Attached Files

Comment

Ek_1
          Attached Files

Comment

EK_1 - reverse - pin on back and no ribbon.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hello

The difference between the EK2 and the EK1 is that the EK2 has loop on the top of frame to allow it to be hung off a ribbon, and carries the date '1813' on the reverse of the iron core, whereas the EK1s have a plain silver coloured back with either a pin or screwback device to allow them to be fastened onto a uniform. Before parting with any money though, I'd recommend really reading up on the subject, (get one or two good reference books on the area of Third Reich collecting that interests you), and getting a good feel for what you are looking at. There are many, many really good fakes of these medals out there now, so learning about your hobby first is the best advice I can give.

To help, I've posted a couple of photos to illustrate an EK2 and EK1s. First an EK2 followed by a selection of EK1s.

Regards
              David

Edit. Looks like Adrian and 'All I Knew' were posting as I was typing this up. Still, I'll carry on regardless.
              Attached Files

Comment

Rear of EK1
                Attached Files

Comment

EK1s
                  Attached Files

Comment

EK1 rear views
                    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome aboard & you've definitely come to the right place. No question is too basic, none of us knew the difference before we read about it or were told by someone else.
                      Definitely good advice to read the reference pages on the main site, a fine introduction to Iron Crosses.
                      I also agree that you will need to do quite a bit of research first as there are unfortunately quite a few very godd fakes out there.
                      I joined this Forum & said i would just buy one Iron Cross first class & one Iron Cross 2nd class......i now have 12 Iron Crosses
                      Ant.

Comment

The difference is that there are various classes.

The "lowest" is the Iron Cross second class, next is the Iron Cross First Class, then the Knights cross of the Iron Cross with various grades. (swords etc) The highest in the serie of awards is the Grand cross of the Iron Cross.

The Iron Cross was a progressive award, with second class having to be earned before the first class and so on for the higher degrees.
                        Therefore the first class is more rare and expensive than the second class. There where also a lot more medals of the second class awarded.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I have read the sections on the main website regarding these medals and know that the basis for their being awarded differs. The fact that the EK2 is backed and the fact that the EK1 does not have the date on back, as well as the ribbon disparaties should be enough to make sure I'm looking at an EK1 not an EK2, from there I can establish whether it is make or not. What is the best way to determine if I am dealing with a fake?
                          Last edited by SurvivingPanzer; 04-30-2007, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SurvivingPanzer View Post
                            What is the best way to determine if I am dealing with a fake?
                            SP - I suggest you do a search on "EKI good", and read your way into it before you even start purchasing an EK in the first place, you will find out that determining fakes, especially like in your case, being at a show with one particular piece in front of you, not having the opportunity to ask a fellow collector or a whole bunch of them (like here on the Forum) for their opinions. Every maker is different, different dies for the frames, different hardware, some makers even sold their frames to other makers, some WWII frames were used after WWII to make post war crosses to name just a few of the countless facts to consider. Really - if you have the chance to take pix, do so and post them here for discussion, it's the best way to learn sth about badges in general. There are no dumb questions by the way, don't feel like you cannot ask a particular question here on the Forum, no one's gonna laugh at ya, this is SCHOOL! In the meantime, since you're going to that show anyway, it's a long shot, but you can always ask the seller if you can take the object for "a walk" in order to show it to other sellers at the show and ask them for their opinions. ...
                            Good Luck and welcome to the forum!
                            Cheers
                            Rainer

Comment

If trying to figure out the slight differences in TR Ek1 attachments
                              becomes a little confusing, you can always try your hand at Imperial
                              Ek1s
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X