No announcement yet.

Quantity v. Quality!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some thoughts from a guy that's been around that block several times.

Collecting anything is what you make of it. It is not a certain standard set by others but instead it should be what brings you personal joy and satisfaction.

I have some items that are close to the proverbial 'mint' but the majority have that appealing patina of history of "having been there and done that". A witness to a time in history if you will.

I'm not referring to items that are damaged, overly worn or abused. Also, not just common items but true rarities. I happen to like items in very good to excellent condition that wear their age well. These are the ones that, to me, convey their journey thru time in a way that the truly rare 'mint' in the box items never will.

As a point of fact, most all of the items that we collect have not been "mint" condition since they left the factory. I know that's contrary to what many dealers want us to believe. But if we really look at things with our eyes and minds wide open concerning actual condition, it's easy to see that most items will fall short of the absoluteness of what "mint" really is.

I had a very interesting conversation several years ago with a well known dealer of national and international repute. I won't mention a name but he is indeed a well known authority in the field. Someone readily recognised. We happened to touch on the grading of military antiques. In the discussion of grading, specifically the current craze for "mint" condition items brought forth this interesting response regarding what is now acceptable. To quote him..... "Tony, are we talking "Mint" condition 2000 or are we talking "Mint" condition 1970?"

Huh!!!!!?

When I expressed puzzlement he clarified the situation a bit further. It seems that items that were a true very good to excellent condition back in the old days is now considered "Near Mint" to "Mint". Why? Because it sells much better to the collectors that are solely condition and "investment" driven. Unfortunately most forget or do not realise that actual "mint" items are truly rare. After all everyone wants something rare.

All too often many dealers are more than happy to oblige this flight of fantasy with usually unrealistically inflated grading.

But, let's be fair to the dealers. Most of them are good people who choose to make their living selling militaria. The collector, who abdicates his responsibilty of doing his own homework as to what true condition actual is bears partial blame. Hell, many collectors seem to have dificulty understanding what is actually genuine or original given the reliance on dealer COAs, let alone being able to properly grade an item. One would not exist without the other. We can see this wishful thinking with some of the items described and sold on our own E-stand here.

I guess my point is that whatever we choose to collect we should do so in a realistic way that happens to suit our present situation in life. Those spare nickles are hard to come by for most of us that weren't born into wealth. There is no need to despair the fact that one may not have a lot of high conditioned or other items in one's collection. Instead it is the persuit of not just the object, but of knowledge that makes this hobby so satifying to the true collector at heart.

All the best and good hunting to all.

Tony
    Last edited by Tiger 1; 05-17-2007, 03:34 PM.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Well said. Truly spoken like someone who has been around for a really, really, long time, or was that someone who has been around the block a few times? Seriously, I love the part about 'mint' condition 2000, or 'mint' condition 1970. How true! You know, anyone who remembers who Ward and June Cleaver are has to have been around the block a few times.

Comment

I'm a bit dizzy from going 'round that block. What did you say?

All the best,

Tony
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X