No announcement yet.

Quantity v. Quality!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a great thread! I enjoy posts where everyone seems to take their time to make their point. I've always been on the side of the fence that looks at things as either an investment or an expense. My collection is, was, has been, and will be BOTH depending on timing and the market. However, I prefer the investment angle. If I wanted to collect cute things with high prices and no value I would have gotten into beanie babies. No, I'll go with the military items from historical events of the past, because they have substance and retain value.

Lately we've seen some OUTSTANDING items for sale. The PRICES are outstanding as well. Greg and I have talked about this subject many times and the prices are on a rocket ride. I have to agree with everyone for the most part, but I will take Prospers' course of action. Nine or ten grand, however affordable that may be to the individual, seems to me to be out of line. I hope the seller gets his price. I wish him nothing but the best, but for me that price takes me out of the market. I could, but I won't, because I don't want to. I could trade or give up other things as a trade for the cased lazy 2 but one is not worth 10 pilot badges or some other combination. It's not! Ten years ago a knights cross could be found in the area of $500 to $1500. The triple amounts I see now are not justifiable to me. I see pilots badges for a thousand and I wonder who would ever pay that amount when they can still be found for under half that? As far as the high dollar knight's crosses, I'll be one who passes and I'll wait for one in the $5000 range, which is a fair offer, but I won't add fuel to the high price fires we've seen in this hobby. I don't think a $10 thousand dollar cased RK will stay or hold at that price for long, no more than a $150 thousand VC. Well, it won't for me. I'll just sit back and watch. I'm not interested at those prices, regardless if I can afford it or not. If that's the way of the world and the prices remain high; collectors will be fewer. I'll be happy with what I have and I'll pursue something else instead.

Comment

demographics

A strong majority of the items we seek are in the hands of baby boomers. When attrition begins to peak within this population you better have your priorities together because you will have plenty of opportunities to enhance your collection then. Right now, if you are collecting WW II items you are competing against more collectors than in the past or even in the future (+/- 10 or so years). To make matters worse or better for all of the "young collectors" out there, I'm 34 and have been collecting since I could toss 50 cents onto a gunshow table for a shoulder sleeve patch, more wealth will be passed on to the boomers than any generation before it...For those that think the prices will continue through the roof you may not be entirely wrong, but at some point the rate of growth will slow. This rate of growth will be directly related to the disposition/liquidation of the boomers' estates. And how many folks will be stepping up to take Detlev's place in the authentication business that people trust? We are in the hey day of enjoying these items mainly because the people we get these items from were the original owner or from a reputable collector/dealer who has handled this stuff over and over again. I recommend to anyone that specializing is the way to go with collecting. Not only will you have fun focusing on certain aspects and increasing your knowledge, but you'll make friends through trading off the items you find that don't fit your collection. The exhaustive collector bores me to death because he/she wants everything and has nothing to trade.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Don't know if this has anything to do with this thread but did anybody notice that with the exception of the S&L all the RK one the e-stand are gone

KR
        Philippe

Comment

Just to clarify, they were sold!
          Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

Hi Seba,

That's what I ment to say. Some people cleary took the decision to invest in quality, and maybe did so based upon all the reflections articulated in this thread.

KR
            Philippe

Comment

Congratulations to the buyer and seller. It's not a good deal until both parties are happy. This was a good deal for them. It's now a done deal, something we will talk about for a LONG time.

I hope both extended their happiness to this forum (for the find and sale) with a little commission of gratutity for this great avenue of open expression and sincere input. Both saved a ton on fee's had this happened elsewhere.

I'm just honestly thinking out loud, again congratulations to both.

Gary
              Last edited by mott5ranch; 04-30-2003, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Happiness is the ONLY consideration.

Apparently I am the "Mother Theresa of Colecting" here, because for me, the MONEY spent does not and never will matter.

Really. Literally. My enjoyment of something has ZERO to do with what it cost me.

Welllll, OK, .... I LIKE it better the cheaper it is... but that doesn't affect my APPRECIATION of what I collect. Don't get me wrong about the "money doesn't matter"-- I am NOT a "big spender." I have only spent more than $1,000 twice-- and those were both well under $2,000. But I am QUITE happy with what I have been able to get, all these years.

I only collect what makes ME happy, selfish, troglodytic pig that I am. Somebody ELSE can go all mushy over Warhols and Monets. Bah! Rococco furniture holds no thrill for Ricky. Medieval manuscripts are civilization's treasures, not something I want the Catatollah scratching in MY house. Etc!

I could get all misty about my personal obligation as a lifetime custodian passing items on to posterity...

except that frankly I don't give a rodent's posterior about generations unborn and THEIR collecting interests--or future lack therof.

I "save" what I can simply to ENJOY.

Now, like everyone else I congratulate buyers and sellers everywhere, and more, literally, joy to you. Because if you do NOT enjoy this... it might as well be Beanie Babies or the Used Kleenex of Dead 1950s Rock And Rollers.. or anything else of "value" to speculators and "investors." Pork belly futures. Whatever.

But to me, all the "desirable" high ticket trinkets in the world are nothing but ... soulless manufactured goods without the flesh ... and bones... of a Gefreiter Grüber.

Comment

Indeed congratulations to the new owners of some pristine awards. To answer your question the best I can, Gary, Rich did contribute generously to the site even before all those awards were posted for sale. Modesty prevents him from taking credit, or even allowing me to give him credit.

Rick, interesting twist on the thread. Of course “happiness” with the purchase and interest in the item is the primary consideration when deciding what to procure, but unfortunately funds availability also play a role. If you are in the privileged position not care about money <b>at all</b>, then great! Congratulations, more power to you. You will have share your investment strategies with me .

For better or for worse, I must carefully plan my moves, balance my budget, and make calculated purchases. From time to time I must “sacrifice” a piece in my collection for the sake of a new item. I find this dance interesting, and it actually adds, not detracts, from my pastime by adding another facet to the equation. Lack of attention to this detail would be negligent of me, and not to mention that as I am married it would also bring certain marital discord.

I think you, like Jody, are special cases outside of the norm. I collect because of the so-called "right" reasons posted in this thread and in your message, but saying that I pay no attention to the value of items would be totally dishonest of me. I also consider the fact that when morning comes I may want to collect my chips from the table and cash out. I don’t want any unpleasant surprises if that happens.
                  Sebastián J. Bianchi

Wehrmacht-Awards.com

Comment

yes, but that one probably came from general Bader's trunk or something similar....

Comment

It's simple buy quanity and when & if you can afford it buy quality.

If you bought collectable militaria and never thought of the resale (investment) angle then your simple minded and need go no further with the hobby than a few items.

I look at cost as one of the main determining factors when I buy. Not the amount but if it's within the market value. Always with an eye on the resale for my inheritors.

Quality speaks for it's self and always will have a market. Where as common things have a market also just not as good. This holds true in all collecting fields.

Which sells faster one RK or 90 EK 1st?

Mine is mostly quanity with a little quality..no guts no glory.

I think high quality quanity items are the best of both worlds.
                      Last edited by Johnny d; 04-30-2003, 10:35 PM.

Comment

at market prices probably a RK
                        Collection : http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=807895

Comment

EMOTIONS!!!

Some great insights.....and thanks to those who responded! I see however an underlying 'problem' that is not unusual to "collectors" and that is; quite a few of us allow EMOTION to dictate what we buy!
                          That is like going to the grocery store HUNGRY! You are certainly going to buy things you really don't need andprobably far to much of it! And what happens to the extra stuff...it goes to waste.
                          Anyway I do hope all of us enjoy our collections great, big, small or otherwise but I would encourage the purchase of quality, rare and atleast uncommon.....
                          It might not be the popular view but then again popularity is based on emotions!
                          Just some 'John' thoughts...
                          Regards,
                          Dave

Comment

While new in having my membership I have followed threads in this forum for quite a while. The truth is that I think everyone that posted in this very interesting thread is positively correct to this extent: Our tastes our desires and our means to procure them are as individual as the collections we own. I am not an impulse buyer. I took three very hard years of researching before buying thing one. If you want to see some of my very first procurements I did post some in the collections part of this forum. Truth be told I hope that threads like these continue. Quantity vs Quality is always an issue. But whether someone has 100 west wall medals or 100 RK's as long as they feel they are doing what they desire ... more power to them and they have my support and respect for sharing something which is valuable to me ... a fascinating hobby and a respect of history.

Comment

Emotion plays a big part in my collecting but my budget plays a bigger part. I love knights Crosses, but I can only afford an EKI. I hate that! I love to hunt for the different makers of EK's. I hate it when someone is asking what I believe to be to much for one.

When my budget catches up with my emotions then I'll really be happy!
                              Greg

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good.

Comment

Quantity v. Quality

Gentlemen:
                                Thank you all for this fine discussion on collecting. It has been a pleasure to read all the comments and varying views. I, like many, believe personal preference and available income are important but the best advice I ever received was "buy what you like" (of course within you means). One will never be unhappy as long as each item in their collection brings you pleasure. This has been a refreshing discussion and one that I believe will have an important impact on many collector's, especially those new to the field.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X