Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help to ID three umarked EK2s please

Hi,
    I've been cataloguing my collection and have been studying the following link http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/iron...roncross_2.htm in order to try and identify the makers of these EK2s that I've had for some time, but unfortunately to my eye at least, they all look the same. I've also tried Gordon's book. Any help to ID them would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

No. 1
    Attached Files

No. 2
    Attached Files

Comment

No. 3 Schinkel
      Attached Files

Comment

BTT

Comment

Honestly mate , 100% if i could help you i would .
          I would love to be in the position to help others . Seems really hard to get people to id stuff now as theres so many requests .
          I thought as you`d been about for a while you`d have got some help but seems that even that counts for nothing .
          I absolutely love cross 3 ,you would think the strange numbers on the date should distinguish it apart from others but aparently the frames tell you more about a maker than the cores .
          I cant remember what it was which i was told recently buy i think the low no3 on cross 2 is a telltale sign also . Just cant remember what the maker is.

Comment

It amazes me how people can look at an Iron Cross and tell who the maker was. Outside of a Souval or maybe a 24 wideframe, I can't tell either. Is the first one a 65?

Comment

Nah i dont think so. Times like this i wish i had a decent reference book . Lol

Comment

Something makes me think theres something Shinkel`ly about no3 ....
                Maybe someone will take more pleasure in correcting me ....

Comment

Hi John,

The only one that I'm 100% sure of is #2...it's a Wachtler & Lange (maker 100).

Tim

Comment

Tim,

If you don't mind me asking. What markings tell that one is maker 100? I honestly don't see any MAJOR differences between the three.

thanks,
                    ERIC

Comment

Originally posted by mokeys0 View Post
                      Tim,

If you don't mind me asking. What markings tell that one is maker 100? I honestly don't see any MAJOR differences between the three.

thanks,
                      ERIC
                      The 100s have a "squished" area of beading in the corner just above the upper right corner of the swastika, as well as the hump where the lug ring attaches to the frame. They are often in very good condition, as this one here is.
                      The 1st cross above is interesting. Some of the inner corners are pointed, others round. Odd...interesting...

best
                      Hank
                      Unless it was nighttime, or the weather was bad, and you were running out of gas - then it was a sweaty nightmare, like a monkey f*ing a skunk.
                      ~ Dan Hampton, Viper Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by hankmeister View Post
                        The 100s have a "squished" area of beading in the corner just above the upper right corner of the swastika, as well as the hump where the lug ring attaches to the frame. They are often in very good condition, as this one here is.
                        The 1st cross above is interesting. Some of the inner corners are pointed, others round. Odd...interesting...

best
                        Hank
                        And one additional thing...the dates are positioned lower (closer to the frame) on the W&L's (some other makers have that attribute, also).

Check out post #7 in the following thread...there is an excellect photo which illustrates the attributes of the Wachtler & Lange EK2.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...chtler+beading

Comment

Many thanks Tim and others! I can spot the minute differences in Assault Badges, Shields etc but I'm with you fellas in that when it comes to crosses I'm looking at them until I become crosseyed! I've had all my books out, trawled through the site believe me.

Comment

Thanks guys! Starting to get the picture. Still confused a bit. Someday I'll be able to identify the makers just from a picture, until then I'll leave it to the professionals.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X