Ek2 "55"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adolph,

Aside from the second layer of paint, your cross looks very nice compared to my offering in post 77. Your cross's beading looks to be of earlier manufacture, void of any flaws from die breakdown.

Robert

Comment

Thanks for your comments, but do you think the second layer of paint around the swaz was done during the EK manufacture or after that, maybe during the war or after it? The paint around looks as thick as Rob Johnson******180;s EK in thread 17-21. Same lack of details in the dates too.

Thanks in advance,
      Adolph.

Comment

Originally posted by ADOLPH View Post
        Thanks for your comments, but do you think the second layer of paint around the swaz was done during the EK manufacture or after that, maybe during the war or after it? The paint around looks as thick as Rob Johnson´s EK in thread 17-21. Same lack of details in the dates too.

Thanks in advance,
        Adolph.
        I don't think there's any way to really get to the bottom of what you are asking. If you look at the pictures you provided of the reverse view you can see the first coat of paint, hence, still in it's original one coat of paint from the factory. Some one has done a good job of painting the front side without touching the silver frame, but the oxidation (rust) under the second coat of paint caused the paint not to adhere to the maluable cast iron. The oxidation process continues spreading if not chemically treated. It's a never-ending battle. But as to when the second coat of painting was done, how could one tell for sure?

Comment

Another thing to consider is that all paints don't have the same base. The photo showing the second layer of paint on the swastika shows new paint being applied to old, telling me that the base of the paint differed. And this may be a clue to when the cross was repainted - a much later period.

Food for thought...

Robert

Comment

Adolph-

I think that the paint on the core of your '55' is a little heavier (or thicker) than on my '55'

Comment

Thanks very much for your comments Robert.

Best regards,
              Adolph.

Comment

Need opinions about EKII 55

Hi,

this is a Hammer&Söhner 55 EK II that offers me a seller, I need opinions about it:

Thanks very much;

Best Regards

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X