Ek2 "55"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ek2 "55"

Has anyone noticed that a lot of these have come up lately? I got one a while ago and I could only find one pic on the forum archives at that point. Now I have seen at least 4 others pop up recently. I ask also because the strike on the frames of these almost looks double struck. The ribbing is atrocious. Are these perhaps all fakes?

best, Sal

Actually, I have noticed. As for what it means, I don't know. This weekend I should have an opportunity to examine one of these that is with a group of four other medals, with docs. I'll take mine along (below) to compare it with the one in the group, and I'll report back.
    Attached Files
    George

Comment

Reverse.
      Attached Files
      George

Comment

Originally posted by Sal Williams View Post
        Has anyone noticed that a lot of these have come up lately? I got one a while ago and I could only find one pic on the forum archives at that point. Now I have seen at least 4 others pop up recently. I ask also because the strike on the frames of these almost looks double struck. The ribbing is atrocious. Are these perhaps all fakes?

best, Sal

Sal-

If you're referring to the '55' that Dion currently has for sale on the estand, that one definitely caught my eye. I have to agree that the frame is very sloppy; it's not even the right shape (see arches between arms)

It definitely doesn't match up to my '55'

I have a few unmarked EKII's that are 100% right as rain, and while they're not exactly the most "aesthetically pleasing" crosses I've seen, they're not as bad as this one. Then again, I am NO expert, so just take this simply as an observation... This is also NOT an attack on Dion - I love that guy He actually put that cross on "hold" a few days ago due to his own suspicion.

Rob
        Last edited by Rob Johnson; 09-13-2006, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Maker mark.
          Attached Files
          George

Comment

Sorry, George. Didn't mean to split up your posts

Comment

ek 2 mm 55

I just posted pics of my 2 mm 55 ek 2's on the post irregular flange. One I feel is a good mfg cross, and the other pure cr_p having multiple beading flaws and overall poor quality, both with maker marks. I am now wondering if there is a poor quality fake on the market.

Regards Rick Schmid

Comment

Rick-

I'll have to check out that post. I'm also going to go get my '55' out of storage and examine it again (I keep images of my collection on my hard drive, the collection itself is either in a safe deposit box or storage )

Comment

I was not talking about Dions cross particularly. The one that was posted on wermacht when I was looking was a sloppy rim version. Mine is also. Looks like Georges is as well. just wondedring why I have seen so many lately. Seems like a bad sign.

Best, Sal

Comment

Hmm, That was the first time I ran into a 55. I get piles of EKs and do a quick run through on them when I get them to make sure all is in check. I look first for any strangeness, then I check all is 3 piece, then I look for any repaints. In 3 years of doing it this way (aside from your worst fake) This one caught m******253; eye. I went over it a bit then checked other 55s posted and figured it was just a crappy maker. I guess if youve been following my posts lately I have been going through a phase of high paranoia on every item , I think it is some natural phase that must happen to everyone. What caught my eye on the 55s is the right hand side rounding on the frame flange, also the way the bottom left side frame is a bit wider at the middle point. I do think that these types are original. The one in my possesion exhibits the nastiest patina and the MM on the ring shows the same wear and style of numbers as my other original examples. Iam not trying to defend mine at the least because salewise it is just another EK, Ill probably just kick it off my sales thread anyway. But I will say I do believe these to be pre 45 at least by 97%. I know they look crappy but after handling so many EK2s in my time here, I have never seen the fakes measure up to these 55s. Its just my opinion, but anyone who owns one of these, I wouldnt go on a witch hunt.

Looking again at the MM George posted in his foto it doesnt line up so nice. The one I have has uniform even numbers with the top line of the 5s being worn off.

And to Rob, I love you too :P

Again, I really wouldnt go crazy on determining these as fakes, its just a badly MFGd cross in my opinion.

The foto of Georges has the same frame traits as mine, and with everyone ive seen posted, this is the areas that caught my eye first..still as I say, Just crappily MFGd

Also lets not forget, we are talking about wartime Germany, not a jewelers convention.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by münster; 09-14-2006, 04:41 AM.
                    Iam Uncle Sam
                    That’s who Iam
                    Been hiding out
                    In a rock and roll band

Comment

Here are photos of my 55 note the poor stamping of the rear frame.
                      I had this for sale on e-stand but withdrew it when I saw this thread.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by LES Y; 09-14-2006, 07:04 AM.

Comment

rear
                        Attached Files

Comment

same as mine les
                          Iam Uncle Sam
                          That’s who Iam
                          Been hiding out
                          In a rock and roll band

Comment

You could add mint "100s" and "65s" to the list of suddenly common IMO. You can find several of each on ebay any day of the week. Doesn't mean they are real or fake though. Could be that with the price this stuff is brining in people are selling, especially family members of recently deceased vets. The WW2 generation is rapidly disappearing.
                            pseudo-expert

Comment

Les, I don't see anything wrong with your EK. In fact, I'd be happy to buy it from you.
                              George

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X