No announcement yet.

ek2 marked 800 in the Ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a maker mark on the ring of your EK, Jerry?
    George

Comment

Hello

Can any of the owners of these crosses say if the ring and, or the rims are actually made of silver ?

Regards
      David

Comment

Both ring and frame of the second cross posted are silver.

Regards,
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by ben bijker View Post
          Both ring and frame of the second cross posted are silver.

Regards,
          Ben
          Hello

If that's the case, then could these be either some sort of prototype or possibly even jeweler made pieces for private purchase ? The crosses themselves don't look like fakes and appear from the photos to be period items.

I don't know the answer and am just throwing some thoughts into this discussion.

Regards
          David

Comment

That is my guess as well - still an interesting mark.
            Jerry

Comment

@ George: I think Jerry's cross is a "24"

@ David, I really don't have a clou.
              I don't really believe in jeweller made pieces, not for a "low " award like an ek2.
              (don't take this wrong, I know it was awarded for bravery, not for driving skills or something like that.)

It could be that they used left-overs from ww1 stock, but why not mark a silver frame or ring with a silver content mark?
              Lots of weird marks are found on crosses, like the extra marks on the small rings of some "24 " crosses, or the additional markings on L59 ek1's??

Sometimes we might get too suspicious.....

Regards,
              Ben

Comment

There is actually a mark on the small ring - its not an acorn, but looks like an X. I will attempt to get a picture.
                Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by JerryW View Post
                  There is actually a mark on the small ring - its not an acorn, but looks like an X. I will attempt to get a picture.

Hi Jerry,

that doesn't really surprise me, a lot of " 24 " crosses have an extra mark on the small ring.
                  So far I haven't read an explanation for that, as far as I recall.

Reagrds,
                  Ben

Comment

ek2 800 stamped

Hi Everyone
                    Just a thought, I've seen ek 2's with & without soldered rings, and would think the unsoldered rings could be twisted and what not or even lost. Is it possible that these might be replacement rings supplied by the person (Jewler) repairing the ek.

Comment

Interesting, good to see 800 marks. Frank H should see it. If memory serves me, weren't RKs Reich period? Didn't one or two of them have 800 marks?

Comment

Stefan,

Here's a cross by the same maker with the '800' ring mark...It's interesting to see the same paint spidering on yours. They must have left the cores out too long before painting and they sucked up too much moisture.

Note the very early orange ribbon.

Robert
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

During WWI there was a maker of 'WH'. His stamp was on many '800' grade EKII's. I have a couple. I've been searching through the PKZ list of makers during WWII and found a W. Hobachter, Wein - '32'. Also a Walther & Hentein, Gablonz a.d.N. - '109'. I don't know if this means anything but, I'm going to run these down in the archives and try and find a match.

Robert

Added: I could find neither a '32' or a '109' EKII in the archives. Would someone in the forum have either of these to post for our help on this, please?
                            Last edited by robert pierce; 11-27-2006, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robert pierce View Post
                              Stefan,

Here's a cross by the same maker with the '800' ring mark...It's interesting to see the same paint spidering on yours. They must have left the cores out too long before painting and they sucked up too much moisture.

Note the very early orange ribbon.

Robert
                              Exactly as you would expect from early awards for those early winners. Not at all a surprise.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X