No announcement yet.

RK Ribbon opinions...please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I think there is more to identifying original ribbon that counting the weave and the shape of the edging.

Bowen's book shows that there were 15 firms authorised by the Pr******228;sidialkanzlei to produce ribbon. That gives the possibility of 15 variations of ribbon to include colour and weave structure.

I don't understand how anyone can discount a ribbon just because it doesn't resemble those they have seen or confirm a piece original for the same reasons.

I do not know what the definative answer is and I do not feel the subject has been addressed properly. I've seen statements connecting certain RK ribbon to certain weavers but how that connection came to be was never mentioned or proven, such as the red/orange ribbon 'associated' with the firm Loy... How was that connection made?

For your interest, here are all the firms authorised to produce ribbon:
    Botschen, Joh. Carl, B******246;hm. Leipa/Sudetengau
    Dittrich, Albrecht. Leipzeig C1, Bl******252;cherstr. 11
    Feldhoff & Co, Langenberg/Rhld
    Freyberger, Lohmann und Co., W.-Oberbarmen
    Harpke & sohn, Anton, Pilnikau, Kr.Trautenau/Sud
    Heitzmann & S******246;hne, Wien VII/3, Wimbergergasse 29
    Hinterleitner, Brnnacker & Co., WeiBenburg/Bay
    Kessler, W & G, Berlin SO 36, Hoffmanndamm 31
    Knoblauch, Carl, Berlin C 2, Poststr. 23
    Koppold, Josef, M******252;nchen 2, Tegernseer Str.2
    Langensiepen & M******252;ller, W.-Ronsdorf
    Lower, Rudolf, W.-Ronsdorf
    Loy, Carl, M******252;nchen 5, Westerm******252;blstr. 28
    Nierhaus, Heinrich, Kettwig.Ruhr
    Rausch & K******246;nig, Remscheid-L******252;ttringhausen
    Rich
    Last edited by Rich G; 12-20-2005, 11:54 AM.
    Interested in hand-stitched EM/NCO LW insignia and cuff-titles
    Decorations of Germany

Comment

Thanks for your input Rich, I agree- How will we ever know? Let s face it none of us were there- when it comes to medals and such we could be condeming good for bad and bad for good-thats why a site like this could be good and bad!!!!...Cheers...Jeff

Comment

"Bowen's book shows that there were 15 firms authorised by the Pr******228;sidialkanzlei to produce ribbon. That gives the possibility of 15 variations of ribbon to include colour and weave structure."

15 at least. If any of those firms made any changes in their production methods or material in the six years they were making RK ribbons there would be even more variations.
        George

Comment

Dave, Kai also has a few on his site similar to mine without the ties and also without the predominant humps on the edging, that look just like mine...go figure...Jeff

Comment

Hello Jeff

Point taken, there are a couple on Kai's site that if you enhance the picture you can see the 'humps' are slightly flatter than on the one I posted.

As Soren pointed out, and I referred to, there has been some discussion about identifing war time RK ribbons on the forum previously and the general opinion seems to be that the pronounced 'hump' style ribbons and weave counts of 23 or above are normally indicative of the war time ribbons. Obviously it doesn't follow that this is necessarily correct or the whole picture, and if, by following the information on these ribbons, it turns out I am wrong then I will gladly admit it - and amend my own thinking on these ribbons. One of the problems I found is that there is not to much information available about them - especially when compared to the crosses themselves - and so it is from discussions and comparisions in forums like this that we learn about them.

So, no intention to mislead, just my own honest opinion based on the information that has been available to me.

Regards
            David

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Gordon
              Personally, I think there is more to identifying original ribbon that counting the weave and the shape of the edging.

Bowen's book shows that there were 15 firms authorised by the Präsidialkanzlei to produce ribbon. That gives the possibility of 15 variations of ribbon to include colour and weave structure.

I don't understand how anyone can discount a ribbon just because it doesn't resemble those they have seen or confirm a piece original for the same reasons.

I do not know what the definative answer is and I do not feel the subject has been addressed properly. I've seen statements connecting certain RK ribbon to certain weavers but how that connection came to be was never mentioned or proven, such as the red/orange ribbon 'associated' with the firm Loy... How was that connection made?

For your interest, here are all the firms authorised to produce ribbon:

Rich
              THANKS RICH FOR YOUR POST.

IVAN

Ivan Bombardieri

Comment

Some time ago I posted a thread requesting all owners of original RKs to get counting the stitch width of the white band. I picked the white band as an arbitrary reference point so one could compare all ribbons. I received many, many replies, mostly by PM and the overwhelming count was 25, with a small number of 24 and a few 23s, and even fewer 30s. Now, this info came from ribbons with all types and makers of RK, from early to mid to late war, from the rare Zimmermann, to S&Ls, junckers and K&Qs.......

Comment

Harry, could you share with us the specific data -- number of responses, which ribbons with which RKs, thread counts, etc. -- that you gathered as a result of your request for ribbon info from RK owners?
                  George

Comment

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...ad.php?t=92912

George, check out this thread. Some of the people who posted replies have large collections of RKs spanning earlies to later versions. I did not collate what ribbon stitch count came with what particular cross, but the info was significant enough to conclude that the 25 count was by far the commonest in original RK ribbons. In addition to the replies, I received about 10-12 PMs of stitch counts covering about 20 original RKs, again spanning early to later crosses. 18 Ribbons had a 25 count, and 2 had a 23 count.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X