Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orion EKs

Hello Bill,

What a great grouping. I have some more pertainent material related to the Orion EKs.

The book "German Navy, Handbook 1939-1945" By Jak P. Mallmann Showell published by Sutton Publishing in 1999 has two other photos showing this same seaman crafting EKs. Apparently there were a series of photos taken at the same time as the one you posted. These other two photos are on page 234.

I, too have a '39 EKII which is constructed as a single piece in my collection for many years now. I have never seen another one like it in over 30 years of collecting Iron Crosses and have always been very curious about it. I aquired it at the same time with a variety of other naval badges and insignia from a single source. Unfortunately there was no documentation with the grouping. I would be very interested in comparing my example with yours. If you are going to be at the SOS in February maybe we can get together and check things out.

best regards and good hunting!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

SOS

I plan to attend and I can bring my EK 2nd. As per the photogaraph, this photo came in a personal scrap book that belonged to Seaman Langer. He personally took the photograph. The Orion had many reunions, the first in Nov. of 1944 and the last recorded reunion was recorded in the scrap book in 1990. Most likely Langer made this photograph available after the war as he was very active in the reunions of the Orion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X