Field Made Iron Cross 2nd Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field Made Iron Cross 2nd Class

Over the years I have owned a Iron Crosses that were made allegedly produced in the field, but only a few that can be verified as being original war time produced examples. I now have two such examples, the latest produced on board the famed Auxiliary Cruiser the ORION, "Germany's Black Panther" and as the English called her, "The Black Raider." I acquired this example in the most astounding medal, document and photographic file dealing with this famed armed sea raider from the beginning of one man's service on this ship through the war and into the 1990 with the reunions the ship's personnel held from after the end of the war well into the 1990's. I would like to share this Iron Cross whit everyone. Here is an Iron Cross End Class produced on board the ORION while on her famous war venture around the world.

IRON CROSS 2ND MADE ON BOARD THE ORION

The cross with ribbon and Auxiliary Cruiser stick pin.
    Attached Files

Comment

CLOSE UP OF OBVERSE

Obverse of the EK 2nd.
      Attached Files

Comment

REVERSE IN CLOSE UP

Here is the reverse.
        Attached Files

Comment

CROSSES BEING MADE ON THE ORION

From the photographic files here is a never published before now photograph if the Iron Cross 1st and 2nd classes being fabricated by hand by the ship's metal worker.
          Attached Files

Comment

IRON CROSS 2ND CLASS PRELIMINARY AWARD DOCUMENT

The award was made somewhere in the Indian Ocean.

Comment

FORMAL AWARD DOCUMENT

Here is the formal award document for the 2nd Class Iron Cross also awarded in the Indian Ocean.
              Attached Files

Comment

What an incredible piece of history! To have everything documented in a grouping complete with photo's is an outstanding find. Thanks for sharing this information with us!
                Roy

Comment

Congratulations Bill,
                  Another excellent and personalised detail,that to some may apear as a "faceless" award.
                  I would assume that the recipient's of field made awards were elegible for the issue pieces,is that correct?
                  Regardless,I know which piece I would rather keep.
                  Regards:Andrew

P.S.The metalworker was very likely a die/tool maker by trade and was probably one of the ship's machinist's(or fitter's and turner's).

Comment

And is there not also a caution here to the fake spotters (~ train spotters?)?

How many would have looked at this cross, in isolation, and intoned "Oh, of course, this is a crude fake. (All may now marvel at my expertise.)"?

But, with research, we see that what might have been dismissed as a junk fake is now revealed as a magnificent item, absolutely dripping with history.

Isn't there a lesson here?

Ed Haynes

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Bill. Fantastic, I'd give my back teeth for it.

Comment

Even though the provenance to this cross is astounding, with out it, it would still be just a crude fake. Kind of sad really, as you know that there are more of these out there.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by admcdonald
                          Congratulations Bill,
                          Another excellent and personalised detail,that to some may apear as a "faceless" award.
                          I would assume that the recipient's of field made awards were elegible for the issue pieces,is that correct?
                          Regardless,I know which piece I would rather keep.
                          Regards:Andrew

P.S.The metalworker was very likely a die/tool maker by trade and was probably one of the ship's machinist's(or fitter's and turner's).
                          In the book 'THE BLACK RAIDER, the auathor made this statement about the Iron Crosses made on board the ORION:

"The secret job of the torpedo boys and been working on. Iron Crosses were to be awarded. With plaster of Paris from the sickbay, white metal from the fitter’s stores, canvas for ribbons from the aircraft titters, and other materials scrounged from the workshop, “really good imitation crosses had been made and there was a parade”. "

I assume that the recipients could purchase the factory made EK's, but most only wore the ribbon on thier uniforms. The recipient did that and I will post a photograph of him wearing his dress uniform later.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_Haynes
                            And is there not also a caution here to the fake spotters (~ train spotters?)?

How many would have looked at this cross, in isolation, and intoned "Oh, of course, this is a crude fake. (All may now marvel at my expertise.)"?

But, with research, we see that what might have been dismissed as a junk fake is now revealed as a magnificent item, absolutely dripping with history.

Isn't there a lesson here?

Ed Haynes
                            Compared to the factory made EK's the crude hand made crosses pail in comparison. However, I would imagine to the recipients it meant just as much or if not more to them considering the circumstances under which they received them. Like the late recipient whose items I now have, it meant a lot to him as he kept it for over 50 years. However, without the province, most anyone would consider this example just a crapy fake.

Comment

RECIPIENT OF THE FIELD MADE IRON CROSS 2ND CLASS

Here is the former crew member of the ORION.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X