narvik shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

narvik shield

I have a kriegsmarine narvik shield,my question is, it as 4 mounting clips on rear of shield.All the shields have the clips running from north to south i.e fromtop to bottom and vice versa this shield as them running from left to right on badge.A m i right in thinking this is probably a fake or were there some deviants.
    Regards Mike.

Originally posted by mike smith View Post
    I have a kriegsmarine narvik shield,my question is, it as 4 mounting clips on rear of shield.All the shields have the clips running from north to south i.e fromtop to bottom and vice versa this shield as them running from left to right on badge.A m i right in thinking this is probably a fake or were there some deviants.
    Regards Mike.

Hi Mike,
    A picture would make it all much easier.

The prongs on the back of an original Narvik shield are known to be in either a square shape or cross shape.

KR
    Pascal

Comment

Originally posted by Pascal Huysmans View Post
      Hi Mike,
      A picture would make it all much easier.

The prongs on the back of an original Narvik shield are known to be in either a square shape or cross shape.

KR
      Pascal
      Thanks for that Pascal,as soon as i can master resizing i will post photo.
      thanks again Mike.

Comment

KM Narvik Shield

Hello,
        I would also like to see these as well since I collect the KM ones. Have you lookd at this thread? http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=152536

Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Here are some pictures of Mike's shield.
          Please give your opinion on this shield.

Obverse
          Attached Files

Comment

detail
            Attached Files

Comment

reverse
              Attached Files

Comment

Not the best PICS, but it appears to be a good one IMO.

Pascal, isn't this one of those like the one I returned a long time ago? You know the one.
                Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Ball View Post
                  Not the best PICS, but it appears to be a good one IMO.

Pascal, isn't this one of those like the one I returned a long time ago? You know the one.
                  Tim
                  Hi Tim,
                  Yes, I think also that this shield appears to be the same type as the one as you once returned.

But I have some real problems with this shield and the most inportant one is the lack of detail. All the known examples of this type (including the yours) have crisp and very good details. As for this shield it completely lacks any detail.
                  If the lack of detail was due because of wear then why is there still almost all of the golden finish still there?

From these pictures my best guess would be that this shield is a copy of the type you are thinking of.

KR
                  Pascal

Comment

Hello my friend!

Yes, see your points, but I think the PICS are off in resolution and saturation. It appears that the high spots may be worn and showing the CupAl underneath, but you really can't tell in these PICS.

Either way, it's close and too close for me to feel 100% comfortable with this Narvik version.

For the benefit of others here, I will post a PIC of the "other" shield, but will remove it if the current owner wants it removed.
                    Tim
                    Attached Files

Comment

narvic shield

Thanks for the feedback,if Pascal is awilling i will send some better photo,s of badge, the badge is curved and magnetic.Although it doesnt show up in pictures the front is worn on swastica,top of eagleand prop.area,also to the rear.I have no history of the shield.It was given to me by a local ex seaman.
                      Regards M ike

Comment

Here are some more pictures of Mike's shield
                        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse
                          Attached Files

Comment

These last pictures only confirms my initial thought on this shield.
                            I must admit that I have never seen a magnetic Narvik shield before and the combination of an magnetic shield for the Kriegsmarine strikes me as odd.

KR
                            Pascal

Comment

Hi Pascal,

Wenn I saw your first pics I was sure this shield was made out of BM, so I'm rather surprised now to read that it's magnetic.

I think it's up to you to figure this one out but just looking at the pics it's rather obvious that this steel shield recieve a nice quality coating before the Gold finish was applied. This type of coating for sure isn't something I would expect to see on a fake.

Have fun figuring this shield out, I for one don't envy you

KR
                              Philippe

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X