No announcement yet.

Interesting Ike Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviewing the WWII enlistment database on line revealed only one individual with the name "Greifendorf" in the records, that being "Carl H.". However, the uniform is that of an individual in one of the special brigades of the Amphibious Engineers and, obviously, not the Army Air Force.

The only thought that comes to mind is the fact that uniforms were frequently re-used and re-issued. I have often seen uniforms with more than one name or laundry mark inside of the jacket. Maybe the jacket began its service with "Greifendorf" in the Air Force and later came into possession of the combat engineer?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D. View Post
      The only thought that comes to mind is the fact that uniforms were frequently re-used and re-issued.
      One other thought should come to mind: The fact that 10% of the records are missing from the database and there are errors to varying degree with anywhere from 10% to 20% of the entries that are online...

Originally posted by Bill D. View Post
      The branch collar disk is that of the Army Transport Service and not the Corps of Engineers, which seems strange to me. Of course, almost anything is possible.
      I'll have to see if I have any ESB-related TO&Es; a transport disc might not be a big deal. BUT, to me, the U.S. disc looks post war. Discs and an ordnance cap may indicate post-war tinkering, but the jacket itself and patches look fine! Not bad for $15.00!

Comment

Originally posted by historyguy View Post
        One other thought should come to mind: The fact that 10% of the records are missing from the database and there are errors to varying degree with anywhere from 10% to 20% of the entries that are online...

I'll have to see if I have any ESB-related TO&Es; a transport disc might not be a big deal. BUT, to me, the U.S. disc looks post war. Discs and an ordnance cap may indicate post-war tinkering, but the jacket itself and patches look fine! Not bad for $15.00!
        I appreciate your comments on missing records as this is definitely not the AAC Greifendorf. I also doubt this guy received a re-issued Ike jacket from the AAC Greifendorf. The jacket is dated late 1944. To me, this is the jacket this Amphibious Engineer came home with.

Just for your information, the collar brass are WW2 - one piece stamped brass with flat face clutches. I don't think the jacket was tinkered with as the source would not have the parts or the need to do so. Not to get his $15.00.

Comment

I have to agree that I would be on the side it was not a reissue ike jacket, especially post war. The ruptured duck patch, assuming it is original to the uniform and that seems odd to add it on in a collection, indicates the soldier came home with the jacket. However, I don't know if there was a provision to wear the ruptured duck if someone re-entered service.

Comment

Well, as noted, the jacket has a branch collar disk for the Army Transport Service, when it "should" be a disk for the Corps of Engineers.

Perhaps a researcher in St. Louis could turn up an Army enlisted man's file from the World War II period with the name if it was not destroyed by fire in 1972.

Comment

BTW Bill, I have followed your posts for years and I highly respect your knowledgeable comments.

We can only hope there is still a file on this fellow somewhere.

Can't understand how the jacket ended up in a general resale shop, but glad they brought it across the tracks to my store to sell!

Tom

Comment

Thanks, tgn.

I have to admit that I find this thread to be EXTREMELY frustrating!

The uniform is a great one.

It is named to an individual who had what is obviously an unusual name.

He was a member of a...relatively...small unit, one of the Army Engineer Special Brigades.

He was almost certainly on Omaha or Utah Beach on June 6, 1944.

It just seems like, in this day and age, a wealth of information should be only a few mouse clicks away.

Unfortunately, that is just not the case when it comes to genuine research. The internet has simplified some things, but we've really only scratched the surface in creating research resources.

I really hope that, if you ever elect to try to research this soldier, you are able to turn up some great information.

As I wrote, one of the private researches who works in St. Louis might well be able too locate a file on this fellow if it managed to escape the fire.

Additionally, another source of assistance might be one of the research librarians at the United States Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle. The USAHEC is the Army's historical research facility. They have an extraordinary wealth of information in their library, including unit histories which might contain rosters of members of the Special Engineer Brigades.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to a site dealing with those Special Brigades: http://ebsr.net/ESBhistory.htm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X