• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the auction. Crazy!
    ------------------------------------------------
    Collector of French ww2-era insignia.

Comment

Ok, here pictures of the two brothers, there is a distinct difference on the finish for both. One is more golden, hard to imagine the mint did more than one run of these but possible. The finish for the pin bar is identical, condition of the cases is near identical. Just the more gold one is missing the ribbon bar. Very nice medals for sure, glad the first went to a fellow forum member so stays in the family.
      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That is really weird Brian, it doesn't even look the same as the photos of the auction! Having them side by side seems to create some kind of optical color shift. And the photos I have of the named medal look a bit off color too. Then there is the silver one in the Smithsonian collection. Makes you wonder! I can not wait for it to be in my hands. I have already been in contact with the sculptors assistant, the sculptor died in 98 at the age of 97. And I have a pile of research that I will be uploading to Wiki bit by bit. Thanks for the opportunity to own one of them!

Comment

Here is the Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor at the American Airlines Flight Academy. It was donated by the widow of an AA pilot, but I am not sure which one. AA had three pilots who received the medal.
            Attached Files

Comment

3/4
              Attached Files

Comment

4/5
                Attached Files

Comment

5/6
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wiki page for each of the 10 pilots online now.

I just uploaded the last of the 10 pilot pages to Wiki and linked them to the page I created for the medal itself. You have to go the citations for each of the pilots lower on the page and under each name is the link to associated pilot wiki page. Going back to update some of the early pilot pages I created to add more and update them. Some interesting fellas if anyone is interested.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airmai...Medal_of_Honor

Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X