Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Mail Flyers Medal of Honor

Just picked this up along with a group of items that belonged to a WW2 pilot, it was all military but this medal was in there. Anybody seen this before? Never knew these existed until I opened up the box.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Authorized by Congress Feb.14, 1931, to be presented by the President of the U.S. to Air Mail Fliers. For heroism or achievement.
      Ed. Anderson,Jr.
      The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Comment

That appears to be an original US Mint strike. Quite a find. Is there anything on the reverse?

Comment

Medal

Thats a great find. I'd love to see the reverse.

Kurt

Comment

Picture of the reverse. Actually two of these came in the group, both cased but the second one is missing the ribbon and maybe not quite as nice. Will post pictures of the group when I get a chance. His last name was Cole, 1st Lt during WW2 (or at least a few pieces of his gear are marked that). Not sure if he won it or something he acquired, he passed in 2010.
            Attached Files

Comment

medal

An interesting find. Would like to know more about this award.

Comment

Mail theft was a large problem in the 1920s...resulting in over $6 million (not accounting for inflation to modern rates) stolen, mostly from registered mail. Because of this, mail was guarded by US Marines, and the job was taken quite seriously. A 105 question Q&A was given to Marines assigned this detail, with questions such as:

Q. Suppose he [the robber] is using a gun or making threats with a gun in trying to escape?
                A. Shoot him

Q. Is it possible to make a successful mail robbery?
                A. Only over a dead Marine.
                Once the Depression hit, fears of mail theft must have really skyrocketed. I imagine that flying mail during this era of mail thefts and Depression, as well as relatively new aviation technology, must have been quite the adrenaline rushing career and can certainly understand how awards would have been conceived and presented to these daring individuals

Comment

No listing of "Cole" as a recipient.
                  Ed. Anderson,Jr.
                  The film "Idiocracy" was originally released as a comedy. Now it has been re-released as a documentary.

Sarcasm is just one of my many talents!

Comment

In the 1930s, many AAC pilots flew airmail routes in order to be paid as the government stopped paying in several instances.

My great uncle was one who gained quite a bit of flight time as an Army pilot, but flying mail...

Comment

medal

If you want to buy it, here it is:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WW2...3D121918961011

Comment

Like others, I think it's a very cool piece & knew -0- about them till now.
                        Thanks for posting & comments guys!

Comment

Originally posted by amberg1853 View Post
                          Picture of the reverse. Actually two of these came in the group, both cased but the second one is missing the ribbon and maybe not quite as nice. Will post pictures of the group when I get a chance. His last name was Cole, 1st Lt during WW2 (or at least a few pieces of his gear are marked that). Not sure if he won it or something he acquired, he passed in 2010.
                          When you say the second one is "missing the ribbon", do you mean the small service ribbon that us worn on the uniform, or the ribbon that is attached to the medal. It makes a BIG difference.

Can you post pictures of both medal sets together.

Nice find.

Comment

Originally posted by Brig View Post
                            Mail theft was a large problem in the 1920s...resulting in over $6 million (not accounting for inflation to modern rates) stolen, mostly from registered mail. Because of this, mail was guarded by US Marines, and the job was taken quite seriously. A 105 question Q&A was given to Marines assigned this detail, with questions such as:

Once the Depression hit, fears of mail theft must have really skyrocketed. I imagine that flying mail during this era of mail thefts and Depression, as well as relatively new aviation technology, must have been quite the adrenaline rushing career and can certainly understand how awards would have been conceived and presented to these daring individuals
                            I recall that one of the recipients was awarded his medal for risking his life to save the mail from a fire. Not sure I would go that far, but....

Comment

Thanks all for the information on these medals, just dumb luck that I stumbled across them. The second one is missing the ribbon bar for wear on the uniform but has the larger ribbon that attaches to the medal. I will post pictures on Saturday when I get more time.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X