Korean Vietnam Veterans Association

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Korean Vietnam Veterans Association

On Sunday I had the previledge of being a guest at a meeting of the Hawaii Chapter of the Korean Vietnam Veterans Association. I was invited by a friend of the national president and was very impressed. I was the only American veteran there and was happy that I wore my Ranger cap, for I would have looked out of place it I did not.

Over a 12 year period Korea sent over 312,000 troops to fight in Vietnam and suffered a loss of over 4600 KIA.

Most of the Veterans that have emigrated to the US are now productive citizens in the cities where they live. Many are suffering from the effects of Agent Orange and are having difficulty in obtaining help due to the fact that they are not citizens of Korea, and the fact that they were not in the US Army.

Having spent 18 months on the DMZ and 2 years in Vietnam I am very familiar with the Korean army, and personally considered them the best
    ground forces that fought in Vietnam. Seeing them with their Vietnam Veterans hats and how straight and proud they looked as the national anthems of both countries were played made me proud of my part Korean heritage.

It was a a great experience to have attended.

DMK

thats great...........our round table group has decided to include korean war veterans as speakers with the ww11 vets,i think it's a great idea......and you have every reason to be proud.........dave

Comment

Thanks for the thread and background information. When time permits with you, could you post some photos of the gathering...if possible.
      Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Ralph,

I did not take any pictures but will make a request to get some.

In June of this year a memorial stone will be place at the Special Warfare Center at Ft Brag to commemorate the 8240 force. The organizer of this is a Cpt. in the US Army of Korean decent whos' father was a member of the unit. She is active in preserving the history of this unit.

I am adding the folllowing post for information since the question was broached in the Indochina thread.

Originally Posted by MikeP
        You cannot describe a member of a regular military formation or the formation itself as "mercenary."

They were part of a military contingent provided by S Korea as part of its responsibility to the structure of the time.
        They were professional soldiers and would resent that reference.

Mike, I did some researched and contacted Korean Veterans, to assist me in answering your reply.

When Korea decided to send forces to Vietnam it was not with great support from the populace in general. However, after the over throw of President Rhee, the country was in dire mess economically.

Because of this there was a agreement structured that for troops sent economic aid would be provided.

It is not hiring a soldier as a individual but as a collective unit. A “quid pro quo” arrangement, a binding contract that involve consideration: that is, the exchange of something of value for something else of economic value. In this case their troops for economic aid.

Korea has a obligatory military service that every able bodied male had to perform, which still exist today Most troops (98%) that were sent were all volunteers. Why did they volunteer, better pay, food, clothing, equipment, and less corporal punishment administered.

Would they be offended if I considered them a mercenary, none seemed to object when I broached the question. For most it was better to go to Vietnam than suffer the cold winters on the DMZ, or the hot humid days humping the hills and rice paddies of Korea. The smell in the summer would kill one as they still used human waste for fertilizer.

Did it benefit both countries, I believe it did. Their military performed well fighting side by side with US units, and the economic aid helped build Korea as a economic power it is today.

DMK

Comment

Thanks for the update and sorry for my slow response back to you.
          Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did. Quote - Sophie Scholl - White Rose resistance group

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X