PPSH-41 - Korean Conflict Bring-Backs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPSH-41 - Korean Conflict Bring-Backs?

Does anyone have examples of the PPSH-41 SMG that are documented as having been brought back as souvenirs of the Korean Conflict? I am in the process of purchasing such a firearm here in the U.S. and am very interested in hearing about what other collectors may have.

While the documentation is not 100% on the gun I am purchasing, it appears to have been brought back by a U.S. veteran from the Cape Girardeau, Missouri area. What is known for certain is that the gun (via unknown channels, but likely via abandonment by the veteran) ended up with the Cape Girardeau, Missouri Police Department, who registered it with the federal government in 1958. The gun was de-accessioned by the police department c. 1975 and has been in private hands ever since.

Again, I am very interested in learning about other Korean Conflict bring-back PPSH-41's and, in particular, any stories about how the guns were brought back as souvenirs and ended up in private collectors' hands.

Thanks,

Alan

Bonsoir,

Is it really a PPSH 41 or a chinese version Type 50?
    Cheers

Valery

Comment

It is a PPSH-41 made in a Russian arsenal in 1945. I attempted to post a photo of the markings but got an error message based on file format. Right now all I have are the seller's photos so, once I get the gun legally transferred to me and I can take possession, I'll take my own photos and post them here.

Does anyone else collect and/or have any interest in these things? Surely there are other examples in collections that are known to be bring-backs from the Korean War?

Comment

I'd love to have one, they're so ugly there is something neat about them....but there can't have been very many of them ever brought back to the US. I know of one brought back from Vietnam but nothing from Korea.

Comment

As was discussed in another thread, the Korean Conflict was not a declared 'war' so the normal 'war trophy' regulations did not apply, therefore very few weapons were brought back compared to WW2. I have seen M-44 carbines and Korean modified Arisakas, but no machine guns.

Comment

Most who brought sphagins home didn't show them to strangers outside the familys. Must be thousands hidden in attics around the country to be discovered, but what can you do with one anyway, as a live version is illegal to own . Maybe you need to ask if anyone has any capture papers for any ppsh41's from the korean war. I'd say if you have a chance to buy a legal one, your a lucky guy. Dont forget to ask if they have capture papers for the one you are buying.....i wouldn't expect to get too much out of this question. My dad has lots of photos of testing all kinds of chinese and russian commie guns from his service in korea. BUT, ......All he brought home ......was himself. congratulations and please show it to us after you get it home.

Comment

Well first of all, the military shook guys down when they were leaving Korea, and second, automatic weapons were illegal in the USA so I'd imagine that would negate bringing them back.

I don't know if the military searched outgoing mail though...

Comment

Yes - I hear you on the returning U.S. soldiers having been "shaken down" by military authorities to take away souvenir items: I've asked every Korean Conflict vet I've ever met and all of them indicated that getting souvenir items home was very difficult. The only Korean Conflict bring-back gun I am aware of is a M1911A1 pistol (late WWII production Remington Rand) here locally that a pilot was issued and flew with; he simply retained "his" service pistol and brought it home in his luggage.

On the gun I am buying, there is no 100% documentation showing it coming into the U.S. as a veteran's souvenir of the Korean Conflict. For sure, however, it was in the U.S. prior to 1958 as that is when the Police Department registered it with the federal authorities, making the gun legal.

I have asked several "old time" MG guys and no one has any information on Soviet MG's having been legally imported into the U.S. back in the early 1950's (when LOTS of surplus WWII German MG's, etc. were imported by outfits such as Interarms). All of these RKI's indicated that the gun in question pretty much has to be either a WWII or Korean Conflict bring-back by a U.S. soldier. Given the gun's 1945 date of production, everyone I've discussed the matter with feels that more than likely the PPSH-41 in question was probably never issued out by the Soviets in WWII (which ended in the 5th month of 1945) and was most likely given as military aid to the Communist forces battling the UN forces in Korea.

In any event, a neat gun to own so I count myself lucky to be acquiring it.

Comment

Originally posted by MattS View Post
                  As was discussed in another thread, the Korean Conflict was not a declared 'war' so the normal 'war trophy' regulations did not apply, therefore very few weapons were brought back compared to WW2. I have seen M-44 carbines and Korean modified Arisakas, but no machine guns.
                  I do have two 91/30 rifles, one with capture papers and one with a letter and extras from the vet. I was able to reach the vet who brought the papered one back and he sent me a letter describing how he acquired the rifle.

Comment

you ARE lucky

All i can say is : ROCK AND ROLL ALAN......and heres something you might need ?

http://www.ppsh41.com/Drumload.html ( this one is how to load the drum.)

http://www.ppsh41.com/ ( this one is the main page with all kinds of goodies to study up on.)

http://www.ppsh41.com/ppshmgp.MPG (what you have to look foreward to)

http://www.ppsh41.com/ppshmgp2.MPG (even your BGF can do it, so you best be actin right)
                    Last edited by juoneen; 08-12-2010, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Juoneen,

Thank you very much for the nice links to some very informative videos. Yes, I have already started stocking up on ammo and accessories, even though I won't get the gun for months. I ordered 4 Hungarian drums last week, along with yesterday I ordered 10 of the 36 shot stick mags along with 3 cases of .30 Tokarev ammo. I am also going to get a replacement bolt to shoot with (the original bolt is matching numbered to the gun), and I may (??) take the original barrel off the gun and shoot it with a replacement so that the original does not suffer wear and tear.

Again, thanks for the useful information.

Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                        Juoneen,

Thank you very much for the nice links to some very informative videos. Yes, I have already started stocking up on ammo and accessories, even though I won't get the gun for months. I ordered 4 Hungarian drums last week, along with yesterday I ordered 10 of the 36 shot stick mags along with 3 cases of .30 Tokarev ammo. I am also going to get a replacement bolt to shoot with (the original bolt is matching numbered to the gun), and I may (??) take the original barrel off the gun and shoot it with a replacement so that the original does not suffer wear and tear.

Again, thanks for the useful information.

Alan
                        Be sure to post pics when you receive it.

Comment

Documented PPSH-41 from Pork Chop Hill

Alan, I just happened to see your note and within the year I will broker a
                          Documented PPSH-41 from Pork Chop Hill...It will be several weeks before I know how it will be sold, likely at auction, but it is part of an extraordinary collection of documented firearms . Ed

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                          Does anyone have examples of the PPSH-41 SMG that are documented as having been brought back as souvenirs of the Korean Conflict? I am in the process of purchasing such a firearm here in the U.S. and am very interested in hearing about what other collectors may have.

Again, I am very interested in learning about other Korean Conflict bring-back PPSH-41's and, in particular, any stories about how the guns were brought back as souvenirs and ended up in private collectors' hands.

Thanks,

Alan

Comment

I have asked several "old time" MG guys and no one has any information on Soviet MG's having been legally imported into the U.S. back in the early 1950's (when LOTS of surplus WWII German MG's, etc. were imported by outfits such as Interarms."

Due to cold war restrictions it was darn near impossible to import Commie Block firearms at that time. Of those examples for sale there was usually a statement in the ad to the effect that: "Proceeds from the sale of this item will not benefit any Country behind the Iron Curtin."
                            Jim

Comment

Ed,

Sounds like a really interesting PPSH-41; please be sure to post some photos and details either here and/or in the Firearms section.

Thanks!

Alan

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X