No announcement yet.

Royal Norfolks in Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lastly a photo of Noel and his friend 'Ray' - This is Pte R M Perfect who was missing in action during the same engagement as Noel was killed in action. His body was never recovered.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lynton Battrick; 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Thanks for looking.

Comment

What a nice tribute and outstanding research. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Lynton,

Very well done indeed. Thank you very much for sharing your hard won efforts. It is a wonderful tribute to a fallen soldier and his regiment.

All the best,

TJ

Comment

Thanks for your comments. I have some more info...maps etc that I recieved yesterday. I will get them on here when I get time so keep looking.

Regards, Lynton.

Comment

Very interesting story and tribute about your wife's uncle Lynton. Yet another example that the horrors of war left scars in a family. Good that you have took the time to research it for the family.

I still have to find out why my grandfather fought as a german in the Dutch army on the Grebbeberg. I have a marriage picture of him with my grandmother were he is wearing a Dutch artillery uniform. The photo was made just before the war started. Unfortunately my uncles and aunts rather don't talk about it

Regards

Erwin

Comment

Originally posted by Lynton Battrick View Post
                Hi,
                I'm new to this part of the forum, but I have ventured on here as I have volunteered to research my wife's uncles military history for her father.
                Her uncle served in the Royal Norfolk Regiment and was killed in action in Korea in 1952.
                I am looking for more information about their activtities and locations in Korea and in particular looking for information regarding their part in a battle for hill 118.
                Any information would be great!
                Many thanks,
                lynton.
                You may want to find a copy of Andrew Salmon's recent work, Scorched Earth, Black Snow about British forces in Korea.

It's a good read in any case.

Comment

Noel and all his comrades continue to live in these pages and in your words....
                  Thank you very much for sharing this with all of us.

Comment

Wow this is an amazing thread thankyou for sharing , im now very interested in researching the korea war too while collecting , i have added 4 sets of korea medals to my grandfathers set of 5dg ,so i have 1 tank 2 infantry 1 medic and 1 signals,
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the comments. It's the least I can do for him to be remembered. They are some nice medals Upbeek. We also have Noel's medals from Korea and the original letter that came with them. I will post when I get some time.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi interesting thread, my uncle served with the Royal Norfolks in Korea, he was originally with the Royal Engineers doing National Service but got transferred to the PBI ( poor bloody Infantry) .
                        Sadly he passed away in January 2011, but there were some photos at his funeral of him in Korea ( he never talked about his experience) one photo showed him standing with his sten gun and a hill behind him, which someone had pencilled in an arrow and the words " chinks here" ( no disrespect intended).
                        His name was Arnold Cook, Would be amazing if an more photos turned up of him.

Cheers,

Stu.

Comment

Finally got a little time to share these.
                          These are Noel's medals from his service in Korea and the note that accompanied them....it's very moving!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Lastly the note..
                            Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X