• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is where they removed it
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rajko84 View Post
      This is where they removed it
      Well I’ll be hornswoggled! You’re 100% correct, that’s where the kurigata used to be. Definitely this sword was donated to the war effort; the kurigata was removed, a new haikan attached, and a (missing) leather combat scabbard fitted.

Wish it was my find!

— Guy

Comment

I'm curious what the size of this sword is.

Comment

I will get you the size

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
            I think the nakako is older than Showa era; the brown color, coupled with the groove that goes way down, plus the second mekugi-ana. It appears to me to be suriage -- shortened.

The fittings are handachi -- i.e., "half-tachi" sytle. This sort of fitting was popular in the early 1900s ~ 1930s, though my time-line might be off.

I see grain in the steel shown in photo #4 (post #6); though I cannot see the hamon.

I think the both original haikan have been removed; the image is not clear enough, but I think I see residue of where the lower haikan used to be. I suggest that both original haikan (which would have matched the semegane -- scabbard ring--) were removed and replaced with the single WW2-era haikan, then the original lacquered scabbard was covered in a leather combat cover. I think this method of lacquer is called Tatake Inden nuri, but I'm not certain -- it reminds me of chrysanthemum leaves.

Dunno about the slight red coloring on the tsuba. It could be a "Bubba" job as Bruce posits, but I think "Bubba" would have left it gaudidly red; this red is very understated. Still, coloring on a tsuba is not anything one should expect. (Could it be a subtle lacquering?)

--Guy

Comment

that type of cut in the nakago is typical of Koto era swords,,,IMO a very old sword...

Comment

that type of cut in the nakago is typical of Koto era swords,,, also the blood groove IMO a very old sword...

Comment

Blade is 27 1/2 long

Comment

Blade is 27 1/2 long
                    Are you measuring in a straight line from the munemachi to kissaki? If so, that's a just over 2-shaku, 3-sun (+0.5-bu).

--Guy

Comment

Are you measuring in a straight line from the munemachi to kissaki? If so, that's a just over 2-shaku, 3-sun (+0.5-bu).

--Guy
                      Guy
                      Yes that is what I did. Also what is 2-shaku, 3-sun?
                      Thank you

Comment

Guy
                        Yes that is what I did. Also what is 2-shaku, 3-sun?
                        Thank you
                        Shaku-sun-bu are the units of measure used by the Japanese. Still used by carpenters, etc., for traditional work.

One shaku is approximately 12"; a sun is approximately 1"; a bu is 0.11"
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaku_(unit)

According to my teacher, Nakamura Taizaburo, who was a fencing instructor during the war (see photos), the gunto was "standardized" at 2-shaku 2-bu (ni-shaku, ni-bu), but there were variations, depending on the height and preference of the user.

--Guy
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by GHP; 08-08-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Shaku-sun-bu are the units of measure used by the Japanese. Still used by carpenters, etc., for traditional work.

One shaku is approximately 12"; a sun is approximately 1"; a bu is 0.11"
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaku_(unit)

According to my teacher, Nakamura Taizaburo, who was a fencing instructor during the war (see photos), the gunto was "standardized" at 2-shaku 2-bu (ni-shaku, ni-bu), but there were variations, depending on the height and preference of the user.

--Guy
                          Thank you.

Comment

Shortened to comply with 17th century sword laws

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                              Shortened to comply with 17th century sword laws
                              So from what era is this sword originally?

Comment

Before 1640
                                It’s only a guess but 1450-1550

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X