CollectorsGuild

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese submarine badge WW2 Original or fake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese submarine badge WW2 Original or fake?

Hello gents, what are your opinions about this badge, genuine or fake item?

Best regards,
    Franko

ORIGINAL. Now pickup a torpedo proficiency badge to go next to it and u have an awesome pair!

Comment

Thank you Beretta.

Best regards,
      Franko

Comment

I do have one question - is the backside clip, which retains the pin, an open "C" shape so that the pin can be moved into it? I'd want this design and usually that clip is made from solid wire.

Comment

I really dont know that, this badge is not mine and I have not seen it in person. I started this thread here for one member of German combat awards forum because he does not have account here and he didnt get any answer on GCA regarding originality of this piece and he has asked then if someone can post this badge here so I have done that.

Best regards,
          Franko

Comment

Originally posted by beretta1934 View Post
            ORIGINAL. Now pickup a torpedo proficiency badge to go next to it and u have an awesome pair!
            In my opinion, this is a reproduction. The reverse texture seems to be a giveaway. And the brown paint is so minty! There are many very nice reproductions of this badge, and some are extremely close. To be honest, the badge's simple design and construction just begs to be faked.

I could be wrong. In fact, I would love to see someone more knowledgeable provide some points of reference to determine fake from authentic pieces.

Comment

Thank you ImperialJapan, it seems to me that this badge is quite dubious item because opinions regarding its originality are very divided. I have started thread about this item on war relics forum as well and I got there rather negative than positive feedback when it comes to originality of this badge, but I didnt get some definite answer there yet.

Best regards,
              Franko

Comment

This badge currently on auction here in Japan is legit:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b324234774

Comment

Originally posted by Franjo Vuk View Post
                  ... I didnt get some definite answer there yet.
                  This is original badge, Franko.

And this is how fake badge looks like

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=793712

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by imperialjapan View Post
                    This badge currently on auction here in Japan is legit:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b324234774
                    The one on Yahoo has the correct "C" clip to retain the pin. Given all the back and forth on the badge you posted and based on the odd "C" clip design on your posted badge I have shifted my opinion. The "C" clip should be constructed from wire only.
                    I would NOT buy this badge.

Ps - I have owned several of these, both early war materials and quality and late war materials and painted finishes, and the number or reproductions keeps growing. It is truly becoming a minefield out there - IMHO I would only buy one that has ALL the textbook early war features

Comment

The one on Yahoo has the correct "C" clip to retain the pin. Given all the back and forth on the badge you posted and based on the odd "C" clip design on your posted badge I have shifted my opinion.
                      You are simply comparing two different types of badges.
                      At least five different variations of original badges is known.

The "C" clip should be constructed from wire only.
                      No it shouldn't.
                      This is just another possible form of the clip that you can easily find at some others navy proficiency badges.

Comment

Thank you JapanX, I appreciate it very much. Thanks to all of you.

Best regards,
                        Franko

Comment

Despite my confidence in Japan X's evaluations, I am not entirely convinced about this badge. Repros often have a copper-colored sheen; orginals most often have a deeper, cooler brown, for lack of a better description. The one depicted has a flat brown paint. And the textured reverse, as I mentioned, is uncommon.

Again, I could be wrong. These badges have a few varieties of legit versions and maybe even more of fake badges.

Comment

I am just curious, I got on WRF link to webpage from one member there and on that webpage there is this badge above and it is claimed that badge above is original because allegedly it belonged to veteran. Is this badge above genuine item?

Best regards
                            Franko

Comment

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=...jumpjacket.com

Here is that link.

Best regards,
                              Franko

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X