Wakizashi for evaluation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wakizashi for evaluation.

This one I actually like. I believe it is Shinto period based on the oxidation of the tang, but am always happy to learn when I am wrong.
    Attached Files

The straight suguha though suggests Koto Period.
    Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
    This one I actually like. I believe it is Shinto period based on the oxidation of the tang, but am always happy to learn when I am wrong.
    Attached Files

Comment

The Habaki is not original to the blade IMO as it is not a snug fit. It does the job adequately though.
      Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
      The straight suguha though suggests Koto Period.
      Attached Files

Comment

Don't determine the age based on the oxidation of the tang. You may likely be fooled before you know it.

Comment

肥前国忠吉
          Hizen no Kuni Tadayoshi

Mark Sesno's book

--Guy

Comment

Looks like nakago was cleaned.
            Mei has red rust.

Comment

The sayagaki identifies the smith as Goji Tadayoshi

在銘: 五字忠吉
              Zaiji: Goji Tadayoshi

NB: the actual inscription does not have the 五字 portion engraved.

Another Wakizashi attributed to the second half of the Edo period.
              In year Keicho 1, then hired swordsmith of Hizen Saga clan, HASHIMOTO Sinzaemon-jo Tadayoshi went to Kyoto and became the pupil of Umetada Myojyu. In Keicho 3, he backed to Hizen, then he established his own workshop near Saga catsle.

After then, his school flourished during Edo period. The teacher of first generation Tadayoshi Umetada Myojyu was originally metalsmith, he was considered as the ancestor of Shin-to swordsmith, he realized the feature of Shin-to significantly, different from Ko-to, such as well grained kitae-hada, loose notare, nio-i-kuchi ko-nie attached, bright hamon, and also added blade engraving freed from religious restraint, which started from Kei-cho period. First generation Hizen Tadayoshi brought back the way of working and style of Umetada Myoju, the aesthetic sense of Kyoto and Yamashiro-den style of Rai school. More over, several elements accumulated such as the taste of first feudal lord of Hizen Saga clan, NABESHIMA Katsushige, local climate, the advantage close to international port Nagasaki. It considered that they bred his creativity. He established his firm style handed over to his pupils till end of Edo period. Hizen swords have created a lot, so the large number of registration as well since Nabeshima clan encouraged to create the swords, propagated to other feudal lords, exported to China and Korea. In later generation Tadayoshis, with the signature called "五字忠吉"(goji-Tadayoshi, litterally five characters Tadayoshi), there were Tosa-no-kami Tadayoshi, third generation Mutsu-no-kami Tadayoshi, fourth generation Ô-mi-daijo Tadayoshi, fifth and sixth generation Ô-mi-no-kami Tadayoshi and eighth generation Tadayoshi.
              Signature to the above-linked wakizashi

--Guy
              Attached Files
              Last edited by GHP; 07-25-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

五字忠吉 is another way to say 肥前国忠吉, that is 1,2,3,4, and 5 characters. There you have the 五字忠吉.
                Last edited by oldhonda; 07-25-2018, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                  五字忠吉 only means 5 characters. It's another way to say 肥前国忠吉, that is 1,2,3,4, and 5 characters. There you have the 五字忠吉.
                  Ahhhhhhhh ... the light bulb slowly flickers on......

Thanks!
                  --Guy

Comment

It’s gimei
                    But that doesn’t mean the Sword isn’t good
                    Judge the blade not the Mei

Comment

Agreed! That's why I am asking all of you for help!
                      Originally posted by oldhonda View Post
                      Don't determine the age based on the oxidation of the tang. You may likely be fooled before you know it.

Comment

The quality is very good from what I can see of it. What should I look for?
                        Originally posted by nickn View Post
                        It’s gimei
                        But that doesn’t mean the Sword isn’t good
                        Judge the blade not the Mei

Comment

I don’t know what we can tell you other then the nakago has been cleaned and the Mei is not genuine
                          It’s best to read as much as possible before buying Japanese swords
                          Have you bought the Sword ?

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                            I don’t know what we can tell you other then the nakago has been cleaned and the Mei is not genuine
                            It’s best to read as much as possible before buying Japanese swords
                            Have you bought the Sword ?
                            Enlighten us Nick. The cleaned nakago is regrettable but that doesn't preclude it being genuine. Are you saying it is none of the 9 generations of Tadayoshi, all of whom used this content at some point in their careers, not to mention the abundance of dai-mei, dai-saku mei and and gassaku?

Of course whenever we see this famous mei one immediately thinks it is probably gimei but the certainty required to declare it such demands the same weight of evidence as to assert its authenticity.

I'm seeing a blade which broadly resembles a classic Hizen Tadayoshi. It appears to be well-made and many of the visible features, such as hamon and sugata generally fit the school. That gold foil wrapped habaki may also be an indication it is something half decent?

Very little known about yondai and rokudai, so hard to discount mei which are seldom encountered. I'm not saying I disagree but the guy has asked for guidance and an explanation to support your beliefs will help inform him (and me.)

Regards,

Kevin.

Comment

Kevin
                              I compared the Mei to swords in my collection
                              Admittedly 2nd and 3rd generation
                              Then google for more
                              To my eye the Mei is way off and the suguha doesn’t look very controlled but perhaps that’s the polish
                              the poster said the Habaki didn’t fit very well he assumes it’s not original to the Sword if that’s the case it’s doesn’t indicate anything
                              But as I said that doesn’t make it a bad Sword
                              The Sword needs to be in hand to give a proper assessment
                              This cannot be done with photos
                              Do you think the Mei is correct for a late generation tadayoshi?
                              Can you post a genuine one for us to compare?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 8 users online. 0 members and 8 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X