Emedals - Medalbook

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is it? Sword - "Samurai" in Furniture I Recognize. How do I break it down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it? Sword - "Samurai" in Furniture I Recognize. How do I break it down?

I just picked this sword up today. I have seen WWII era machine stamped swords with the same leather wrapped scabbard. I can tell that the tsuba and menuki are more "cheaply" made. I have never seen meguki like this. Has anyone else? I doubt I'll be able to let loose of it without taking a look at the handle with my own eyes. Does anyone have experience with breaking down swords with these complex steel meguki? How?

Anybody seen one like this before?

Thanks for the input!
    Attached Files

Images 5/6/7/8

Images 5/6/7/8
    Attached Files

Comment

Image 9

Image 9
      Attached Files

Comment

Late war army NCO sword.
        Dont take it apart, You wont find any signs or stamps on the tang.

Comment

I agree it’s late war, but it might be late war officer. I’ve never seen one, a real one in someone’s hands, only in the books. An NCO sword should have a serial number, if this one doesn’t it might be very late war officer sword. The fasteners just unscrew out of the handle.

Comment

I see absolutely no reason why you would want to take this apart. You won't find anything worth the trouble.

All you will do is leave signs that you have done so.

Gunto's advice is sound in my opinion.

Regards

Russ

Comment

Update: I got home and checked. Dawson has one just like this and simply listed it as late-war Version 4 Type 95, and NCO gunto. I can't find one in Fuller & Gregory with the cloth-ito wrapping.

I thought I had read that the cloth wrapped late war like this was "probably" officer, but I can't find that reference now.

Comment

Thanks!

Very helpful information and advice. Much appreciated.

Comment

OP,

What markings do you find on the sword? Your pictures show none. If true, it'd be extremely odd.

Comment

Blade Markings

This blade is actually completely unmarked. I understand that this is unusual, as it is that one should have cloth wraps.

Here are some photos where the NCO numbering "should" be...
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is where Shamsy or Stegel needs to chime in. If I recall a statement by Shamsy, he once said that un-numbered late war gunto was not common but existed.

Comment

Is the wooden handle ribbed/grooved below the cloth wrapping? Thanks!

Comment

Plenty more pictures on his eBay listing.

Comment

Additional Images

Originally posted by reeder3 View Post
                            Plenty more pictures on his eBay listing.
                            Thanks, reeder3. Yes, I am selling this sword online. The listing number is: 222921288068 and it ends this Sunday 4/22/18.

I have received a variety of requests here to provide better images of the sword.

I am receiving the most inquiries about the grooves on the handle. This has only one groove. The groove crosses the base of the hinge of the retainer clip on the end of the handle closest to the hand guard. There is no ribbed groove pattern across the entire handle, as there appears to be on a lot of these swords. The are also no diamond pattern grooves or "knurling" on the handle.

I am attaching images of the scabbard's throat and scabbard's drag, as requested. I see no identifying marks on either of these.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Scabbard Throat and Drag Images

As requested, better images of the throat and drag. I did not recognize any identifying marks.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X