Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guy,
    My concern :
    for the second Kanji is that horizontal stroke( circled by yellow) which is not shown in your Kanji. My suggestion has been stated and it may be the purple one Kanji which however has an additional horizontal stroke.
    for the last Kanji, you can see my analysis in yellow. If written in continue format, it becomes the blue one. The green one is your version but that downward stroke is too short as compared to the writing.

Anyway,let hope someone can provide further comment.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
      Guy,
      My concern :
      for the second Kanji is that horizontal stroke( circled by yellow) which is not shown in your Kanji. My suggestion has been stated and it may be the purple one Kanji which however has an additional horizontal stroke.
      for the last Kanji, you can see my analysis in yellow. If written in continue format, it becomes the blue one. The green one is your version but that downward stroke is too short as compared to the writing.

Anyway,let hope someone can provide further comment.

Hello Mr. Chen.

Hmmmmmm.

1. You suggest the second kanji is . I think it is a quickly written -- not having an extra stroke, but just sloppy.

2. or 場. 開揚 does not make sense in Japanese whereas 開場 does. I think it is the earth radical, not hand; I do not think stroke #2 continues down far enough to make the "hand" radical; just a bit of fast writing.

I'll send a PM to Nick and get his opinion.

Thanks for the input ... you make me think a LOT.

--Guy

Comment

Nick Says:

I was wrong! My apologies to Mr. Chen.

m(_ _)m
        (bowing lowly)

Originally posted by Nick Komiya
        It's read 皇威発揚 こういはつよう [Kō I Hatsu Yō]. Nowadays they use instead 国威発揚 meaning enhancing national prestige; expanding national influence

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
          I was wrong! My apologies to Mr. Chen.

m(_ _)m
          (bowing lowly)

--Guy
          Guy,
          No need to apologize.
          When seeing the Kanji writing in fast and fashionable way, sometime the reader needs to:
          1. recognize the form and shape of individual word ( correct number of strokes no longer be that important to determine that word)
          2. read all four words all together trying to get an overall meaning.

BTW, the first Kanji usually means Imperial ( Japan or Army).

Comment

BTW, I am quite certain my guessing for last( fourth) Kanji due to third Kanji. It is because third and fourth Kanji can now act together to form a meaningful thing.
            When I did that translation in post #12 for the second Kanji, I was not that convinced even to myself. Later when I try to guess again(at post #16) for the second Kanji, the whole 4 Kanji can be tied together to a quite meaningful sentence.
            But due to sloppy writing, it is hard to imagine what the second Kanji is so the best way is to guess with the help of first, third and fourth Kanji, all read together to guess.

Anyway, learn these 4 kanji during primary school with lots of hard brain memory. Quite a torture at that time!

Comment

Request help from moderators

Request help from moderators to change user name. Please PM me. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ghp View Post
                hello mr. Chen, and thank you. I think there might be some difference in understanding this phrase, and perhaps we need a native japanese to confirm what you wrote. "imperial all spread out" can be one form of the kanji.

In the meantime, here is my understanding:

皇成発場
                kōsei hatsujō
                imperial visit place of arrival
                there might be a cleaner way of saying this, perhaps "imperial visit" is enough?
                • (hō, ō) emperor, as in 天皇; can also be an abbreviation for "imperial [army]" ... But that is normally written as 皇軍 kōgun
                • (nari, sei) visit; although this is the 5th definition, it is the only one where is the main kanji:
                成り; 御成り; 御 【o-nari (n) going out (of a nobleman, etc.); visiting [ghp: "o" means honorable]
                alone, it means "to become", elapse, grow, turn in to. This is the kanji version of "~naru" なる, a common word meaning "become/becomes/became" (e.g., i became an officer is: 将校になりました; alternately as 将校に成りました).
                • 発場= arrival location. This is a set pair and the dictionary definition:
                発場 【hatsu jō】 (n) arrival; place of arrival

grammar police report
                regarding the important diacritical marks used above the "o" and "u" vowels (ō and ū) when converting kanji or kana into romaji (latin letters). The diacritical mark does *not* make it a long vowel as taught in us/uk grammar school. japanese diacritical marks extend the vowel sound. In this case is written with two hiragana as ほう. When transcribed into western letters, each kana is broken down as ho and o. Today ほう would be rendered either as hou or , but not "ho". Pre-1960s (and even sometimes today) you will see it as "hoo" -- but to native english speakers that would sound like "who".
                With that said ... It is too cumbersome for most people to write 柔道道場 correctly as jūdō dōjō; we just write judo dojo.

Regards,
                --guy
                皇威發揚。發=発

Comment

Originally posted by ghp View Post
                  hello mr. Chen, and thank you. I think there might be some difference in understanding this phrase, and perhaps we need a native japanese to confirm what you wrote. "imperial all spread out" can be one form of the kanji.

In the meantime, here is my understanding:

皇成発場
                  kōsei hatsujō
                  imperial visit place of arrival
                  there might be a cleaner way of saying this, perhaps "imperial visit" is enough?
                  • (hō, ō) emperor, as in 天皇; can also be an abbreviation for "imperial [army]" ... But that is normally written as 皇軍 kōgun
                  • (nari, sei) visit; although this is the 5th definition, it is the only one where is the main kanji:
                  成り; 御成り; 御 【o-nari (n) going out (of a nobleman, etc.); visiting [ghp: "o" means honorable]
                  alone, it means "to become", elapse, grow, turn in to. This is the kanji version of "~naru" なる, a common word meaning "become/becomes/became" (e.g., i became an officer is: 将校になりました; alternately as 将校に成りました).
                  • 発場= arrival location. This is a set pair and the dictionary definition:
                  発場 【hatsu jō】 (n) arrival; place of arrival

grammar police report
                  regarding the important diacritical marks used above the "o" and "u" vowels (ō and ū) when converting kanji or kana into romaji (latin letters). The diacritical mark does *not* make it a long vowel as taught in us/uk grammar school. japanese diacritical marks extend the vowel sound. In this case is written with two hiragana as ほう. When transcribed into western letters, each kana is broken down as ho and o. Today ほう would be rendered either as hou or , but not "ho". Pre-1960s (and even sometimes today) you will see it as "hoo" -- but to native english speakers that would sound like "who".
                  With that said ... It is too cumbersome for most people to write 柔道道場 correctly as jūdō dōjō; we just write judo dojo.

Regards,
                  --guy
                  皇威發揚。發=発,發揚光大=発揚光大,出發=出発

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X