Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Flag Purchase

Hello,

Please take a look at some recent acquisitions. I bought three flags and know nothing about them including value. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bryan
    Attached Files

Last Flag

Thanks agian. Bryan
    Attached Files

Comment

Bryan ........

<sigh>[...sigh....]

Is there anyway you can change your profile name?

It's like me selling Black Americana and calling myself "NigAntiques".

--Guy</sigh>

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
        Bryan ........

<SIGH>[...sigh....]

Is there anyway you can change your profile name?

It's like me selling Black Americana and calling myself "NigAntiques".

--Guy</SIGH>
        Well said Guy. Another insensitive individual who does not deserve any assistance with his hinomaru.

Comment

Guy

Guy,

I could. I have had the user name for probably 15 years. No one has ever said anything. Was meant to be an abreaviation only. Not derogatory. Someone would have to tell me how to change it. Not sure how that would work. Thanks for asking in a reasonable way. I would like to change it to "JapanMilitaria".

Bryan

Comment

Originally posted by Japmilitaria View Post
            Guy,

I could. I have had the user name for probably 15 years. No one has ever said anything. Was meant to be an abreaviation only. Not derogatory. Someone would have to tell me how to change it. Not sure how that would work. Thanks for asking in a reasonable way. I would like to change it to "JapanMilitaria".

Bryan
            Hi Bryan, and thanks for trying. An abbreviation I use is Jpz or Jpn.

Thanks,
            --Guy

Comment

Originally posted by Japmilitaria View Post
              Guy,

Bryan
              Hi Bryan-
              Well done. There is apinned thread in this section regarding that: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=217287
              Best regards,
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Jpzmilitaria View Post
                Thanks agian. Bryan
                At first this flag did not interest me .... then I first noticed a master sergeant ranking....

From right margin to left:
                昭和十三年六月
                Shōwa 13th year [1938], June

野砲兵*部隊**
                Yahōhei * Butai **
                Field Artillery * Corps/group ** [I can't make out the kanji substituted with *]

野砲軍曹佐川良一君
                Yahō Gunsō Sagawa Ryōichi [or Yoshikazu] -kun
                Field Artillery Sergeant Major Sagawa Ryōichi [or Yoshikazu]
                君 ~kun is the familiar of "san" or "sama" [mr., sir] and shows that he was either a subordinate, or a peer of other NCOs who thought well of him. This flag was given to him.

Family names are pretty to read ... the given names are difficult because of the many different sounds that can be given to the same kanji.

皇成発場
                Kousei Hatsujou
                Imperial Visit Place of Arrival
                There might be a cleaner way of saying this, perhaps "Imperial Visit" is enough?
                皇= Emperor; 成 = royal visit; 発場= arrival location

SUN DISK

武運長久
                Bu'un Chōkyū
                Good luck in the fortunes of war

野砲射撃學校
                Field Artillery Gunnery School
                射撃術***
                Gunnery Techniques ***

陸軍中尉勝沼亘
                Rikugun Chū'i Katsunuma Wataru
                Army lieutenant Katsunuma Wataru

--Guy

Comment

Middle flag with writing on the sun orb:

出征畑野良助君
                  Shussei Hatano Ryōsuke-kun
                  Deployment/Enlistment of Mr. Hatano Ryōsuke

武運長久
                  Bu'un Chōkyū
                  Good Luck in the Fortunes of war. This is also written on the right margin.

It looks like the balance of writing are the names of well-wishers.

--Guy

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

User Name

I have requested assistance in changing by user name. Lets see how long it takes. Sent an email to the info address.

Bryan
                      Last edited by Jpnmilitaria; 09-07-2017, 04:07 AM.

Comment

1. Imperial- usually abbr. means Japanese Imperial Army
                        2. All
                        3. Spread
                        4. Out

So the total meaning ,if read together, means" Spread all out the Spirit of Japanese Imperial Army "
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great Translation Info.

Great translations. Going through them now. Thanks, Bryan

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by chen View Post
                              1. Imperial- usually abbr. means Japanese Imperial Army
                              2. All
                              3. Spread
                              4. Out

So the total meaning ,if read together, means" Spread all out the Spirit of Japanese Imperial Army "
                              Hello Mr. Chen, and thank you. I think there might be some difference in understanding this phrase, and perhaps we need a native Japanese to confirm what you wrote. "Imperial All Spread Out" can be one form of the kanji.

In the meantime, here is my understanding:

皇成発場
                              Kōsei Hatsujō
                              Imperial Visit Place of Arrival
                              There might be a cleaner way of saying this, perhaps "Imperial Visit" is enough?
                              • (hō, ō) Emperor, as in 天皇; can also be an abbreviation for "Imperial [Army]" ... but that is normally written as 皇軍 kōgun
                              • (nari, sei) visit; although this is the 5th definition, it is the only one where is the main kanji:
                              成り; 御成り; 御 【o-nari (n) going out (of a nobleman, etc.); visiting [ghp: "O" means honorable]
                              Alone, it means "to become", elapse, grow, turn in to. This is the kanji version of "~naru" なる, a common word meaning "become/becomes/became" (e.g., I became an officer is: 将校になりました; alternately as 将校に成りました).
                              • 発場= arrival location. This is a set pair and the dictionary definition:
                              発場 【hatsu jō】 (n) arrival; place of arrival

GRAMMAR POLICE REPORT
                              Regarding the important diacritical marks used above the "o" and "u" vowels (ō and ū) when converting kanji or kana into romaji (Latin letters). The diacritical mark does *not* make it a long vowel as taught in US/UK grammar school. Japanese diacritical marks extend the vowel sound. In this case is written with TWO hiragana as ほう. When transcribed into Western letters, each kana is broken down as Ho and O. Today ほう would be rendered either as hou or , but NOT "ho". Pre-1960s (and even sometimes today) you will see it as "hoo" -- but to native English speakers that would sound like "who".
                              With that said ... it is too cumbersome for most people to write 柔道道場 correctly as jūdō dōjō; we just write judo dojo.

Regards,
                              --Guy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X