• Show
Clear All

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Ok so those are the 2 swords I just purchased. Hopefully these pictures are better. Any opinions would be great!

Comment

Nice pieces! The older blade looks to be early Shinto, late koto, possibly cut down from a longer sword to meet requirements back then. Can't tell if the saya is what it given when taken to war, but appears to be a Kyu-Gunto saya with remains of the leather cover. Believe I've seen older blades retaining the tsuka mounted with these, but not if it was issued as such. As for the other blade, it's a nice oil quenched gun to (note the stamp) that has mismatch Type 3 Gunto saya. Still neat! May not be a ballpark score, but it's still nice little items though the older blade may have some hidden qualities. Any way we could get closer pics? Would be neat to know if this wakizashi was actually taken to war,

Lev

Comment

Just to confirm, now the whole signature is visible - it was Ido HIDETOSHI saku kore wa, as suggested.
                    That looks a fairly long sword and hilt hole aligns with tang hole, so I'd say the tsuba and handle are right. Just the saya has been switched. Pity, that would have been really nice.
                    Another unusual feature is the locking catch on the other sword - fitted to a civilian fuchi. That's a nice touch too.

Comment

Usually the date is on the other side of the Nakago on military blades. Is there anything there?

Comment

Originally posted by Death-Ace View Post
                        Nice pieces! The older blade looks to be early Shinto, late koto, possibly cut down from a longer sword to meet requirements back then. Can't tell if the saya is what it given when taken to war, but appears to be a Kyu-Gunto saya with remains of the leather cover. Believe I've seen older blades retaining the tsuka mounted with these, but not if it was issued as such. As for the other blade, it's a nice oil quenched gun to (note the stamp) that has mismatch Type 3 Gunto saya. Still neat! May not be a ballpark score, but it's still nice little items though the older blade may have some hidden qualities. Any way we could get closer pics? Would be neat to know if this wakizashi was actually taken to war,

Lev

Thanks Lev. I'll take closer pictures of the blade when I can, right now it is a little overcast the next couple days so not the best light. But I can tell you that there are a few very minor nicks in the blade that you have to look close to see. But I would say this is definitely used at some point. Whether that was during WW2 there is no way to prove, sadly. Additionally, the wakizashi is about 25 inches from tip to blade guard. Approximately 34 inches from tip of blade to end of tsuka. Not sure if that helps.

Comment

These swords are for sale. I don't collect Japanese. Please PM me if you're interested. I'm open to trades, as well. Thank you.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X