Japanese officers sword

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes this a navy sword?
    The tsuba? No, the army NCO had same tsuba.
    Fittings? No,All is army.

Its only the navy stamp on the blade and it dosnt show when wearing the sword.
    I guess that the army needed swords that was more resistant to the climate.

The navy arsenals had lots of these and surplied the army.

Thats where the stainless blades fits in.IMO.

Comment

Hello fellows,
      Does this sword has the fuchi stuck to the last seppa? I read a story about a dead stock of that kind of navy arsenal blade in army koshirae hybrid, with such particularity, being found in a warehouse somewhere in Japan. Long after the war ended. First time I saw them they were selling around $500-$600. All mint condition or only with storage wear. I think I read this on the WAF. Opinions were from being a legit late war navy or snlf to post war assembly to sell as souvenir for occupation forces.

Each time one of them pop up on the market every now and then the asking price keep growing.

It's still a true mystery. The more puzzling point to me behind the army/navy obvious cooperation would be the production timeline in the gunto evolution. If snlf why didn't they use a kaigunto suspension ring? If late war army it's before the type 3 because the koshirae does not share the same fittings. If it's late war navy why is it so unknown? If made during/after bombing of japaneese facility why did they used the rarest army type 98 fittings instead of type 3? Il know the fittings where mass produced but arsenals where not the only producters of koshirae. I thought the majority were small sized artisanal workshop, am I wrong?

Well sorry I have more questions than answers on this one but I like reading everyone opinions about it

Comment

STU, thanks for the posting info! I have to correct myself, by buddy says his dad picked it up in Okinawas, not Iwo.

I have pics he sent me of the nakago. I'll send them to Russ, who posted that pic for me.

I agree, I'd rather have an early war navy sword with the double belt hangers, but once my wish-list is completed, I wouldn't mind having one of these! I asked by bud to put me in his will for this one!

Comment

Posting for Bruce.

Regards

Russ
          Attached Files

Comment

One more for Bruce.

Regards

Russ
            Attached Files

Comment

I have one of these swords. I purchased it in July for $600 USD. And it was described as a late war Kai Gunto. In trying to do some research on my sword, I found some references attributed to fuller and Gregory's first book, "Japanese military and civil swords and dirks". Specifically page 138 apparently has a description and picture of this exact configuration of Kai Gunto. However I do not have a copy of this edition and was wondering if anyone here does and can verify.

Comment

Comment

Takayama-To Kanenao no saku.
                  A Takayama Sword made by Kanenao.

We've had a few of these. I'm in Japan on my phone and this is painful.
                  please do a search for Takayama to learn more.

--Guy

Comment

Fellahs..... Please create new threads for different swords so as not to get lost.

Comment

Ok
                      Last edited by BruceP; 08-25-2015, 05:47 PM. Reason: reply went to wrong thread conversation

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X