Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Bill,

I'm afraid I cannot pinpoint the shrine/temple from the stamp as the seal-script does not apear to be a name and the circumference design appears to be merely filigree.. To me, the two kanji between the sword looks like:
    御璽
    Gyoji
    Privy Seal / Royal Seal

Obviously it is not the Emperor's official seal ... perhaps "gyoji" can also mean "Honorable Seal"? "go/o" is used in such phrases as 心配する "Goshinpai suru" [honored worring about me]; 両親 "Go Ryoushin" [your (honored) parents]; 御電話 O-Denwa [your (honorable) telephone]; 手洗 O-te arai [honored toilet]; etc. Though in most cases the kanji is replaced by the hiragana O~.

--Guy

Comment

Thank you, Guy. Very interesting regarding the seal. Sounds like a bit of a mystery, then, as to its exact meaning.

I am, again, very grateful for your help!

Comment

Guy is very much on course and only requires a slight nudge. The Emperor's signet and handwritten name as required in launching a new law or, as I have shown, new military equipment is called Gyomei (name) Gyoji (Seal). It is used like " the emperor is required to affix his Gyomei-Gyoji on an ordinance". However, it is read Gyoji only when referring to the Imperial seal and when it is the seal of a shrine like this thread, it is read "Mishirushi", not Gyoji, although the kanji is identical. The seal showing a sword would most likely mean that the Shrine is named after a sword like the several Tsurugi Jinja (Sword Shrine) or Ohtsurugi Jinja (Great Sword Shrine), but which one will have to remain a mystery without other geographical pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
          ...The Emperor's signet and handwritten name as required in launching a new law or, as I have shown, new military equipment is called Gyomei (name) Gyoji (Seal). It is used like " the emperor is required to affix his Gyomei-Gyoji on an ordinance". However, it is read Gyoji only when referring to the Imperial seal and when it is the seal of a shrine like this thread, it is read "Mishirushi", not Gyoji, although the kanji is identical. The seal showing a sword would most likely mean that the Shrine is named after a sword like the several Tsurugi Jinja (Sword Shrine) or Ohtsurugi Jinja (Great Sword Shrine), but which one will have to remain a mystery without other geographical pointers.
          Thanks Nick -- you are a deep well of knowledge.

Likewise, I am aware the same kanji, , is used when talking about the Emperor's speech mikoto -- does 御言 also transfer to Biblical "words of God"? I seem to recall 御言 outside Imperial useage.

Thanks!
          --Guy

Comment

Nick....
            Just as with Guy, I very much appreciate your assistance and your insights!
            Thank you!

Comment

Guy, you must mean Mikotoba 御言葉 as used in the Christian Bilble. The Japanese language used in religion is also strange as those that relate to the Emperor's deeds, as they had to devise superhuman superlatives for both, yet keep them separate, so by the different pronouns and verbs used, you could tell whether it was the Christian God or the Emperor addressing you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                Guy, you must mean Mikotoba 御言葉 as used in the Christian Bilble. ...
                Aha! That's it. Thanks Nick.

--Guy

Comment

I couldn't find any match, but here's the search I did for the Tsurugi Shrine Stamp
                  https://www.google.de/search?q=%E7%A...9C%B1%E5%8D%B0

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X