No announcement yet.

JAPANESE TANTO for REVIEW....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...Not quite sure what you mean. I would assume anyone in the market to manufacture and sell "fake" Japanese edged weapons for good money, would at least make the effort to make them appear Japanese in origin...Sensible, no?

Comment

No
      Lots of different types some better then others
      Remember these people have probably never seen a real japanese sword

Comment

Originally posted by Milton View Post
        ...Not quite sure what you mean. I would assume anyone in the market to manufacture and sell "fake" Japanese edged weapons for good money, would at least make the effort to make them appear Japanese in origin...Sensible, no?
        Since there is lots of people that cant se head and tail on japanese swords , why make them like the originals?

The nakago lenght and shape are Way off.
        Dont either like the look of the kanji and the mekugiana right in the mei.
        The hamachi and munemachi are not straight over position.

The lack of kurigata also ring Bells.

Comment

Really?? "Never seen a Japanese sword"?? With the abundance of reference material and internet sources available today, I find it hard to imagine that someone in the market to replicate / fake Japanese swords would go into it blindly, with no source of reference with which to work. That sounds more than a bit fantastical. As for Gunto's inference, that the dimensions are "off", since the vast majority of these types of blades were hand-made, am I mistaken in believing that there is no set dimensional "standard" to which any particular smith would have to adhere? Like it or not, in hand, this piece is well made, and well balanced. Even if it IS deemed a modern version, it is a quality piece. It would be good to hear back from Guy regarding a possible tang translation, and get some add'l feedback. Thank you!

Comment

We need some more opinions from Nihonto collectors.

Comment

True. To your point about the hole going through the Kanji, I also found that a bit odd, however, with such a short tang, and having Kanji on both sides, it seems it would've been a bit hard to avoid. Is this utterly unheard of??

Comment

The nakago (tang) looks way too long.

Comment

Perhaps later I can disassemble it again and take add'l measurements if that would help. Also, I can try to enhance the Kanji w/ some chalk or something to better show the details. Thx.

Comment

I cant see any hada either.
                    Is the wood inside the koiguchi? (Scabbard mouth)

The rust as mentioned early in the thread , looks very new.

The tanto really has so many red flags, sorry.

Comment

sorry milton its not right i would love to say it was but it just isnt thats why all the other nihonto collectors have gone quiet
                      and to be honest its very very poor quality

Comment

fake

Comment

Real, or "fake", I would disagree that it's poor quality. I've seen "poor quality", and this piece is, in my honest opinion, well made, but as with everything, that's all in the eyes of the beholder. As to why the other Nihonto collectors have gone quiet, it's quite simple. Others have voiced their opinions earlier, but the thread has, as is so often the case, simply degenerated into another redundant back and forth, the type of which typically constitutes nothing additionally substantive, and of which few others wish to involve themselves. Unfortunate, but it happens all the time. With all that having been said, I will take the general consensus of all who've commented into account. Thanks to all who've commented thus far.
                          Last edited by Milton; 09-11-2014, 08:51 AM.

Comment

sorry milton it is very poor quality believe me i wish it wasnt
                            do you have any books on japanese swords?
                            if not go to some of the japanese dealer/museum websites to look at quality swords
                            i agree that often you get lots of oppinion going back and forth but not in this case
                            its a chinese fake
                            how do i know
                            40 years of collecting and dealing in nihonto
                            again sorry i wish i was wrong

Comment

milton
                              if you dont believe us put it on the nihonto forum lots of experts there

Comment

Gents, it's not a matter of whether or not I believe you. I posted it here for opinions, good, bad, or otherwise and am taking everybody's feedback into account. I've personally also collected militaria in general for over 40 years, albeit do not specialize in Japanese edged weapons specifically... (not to say I haven't handled my share, and DO have more than a few reference books on hand). Again, I appreciate all the feedback on this piece.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X