JAPANESE TANTO for REVIEW....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JAPANESE TANTO for REVIEW....

Hello folks. Just got this one in w/ some other smalls. Nice looking little Tanto, I think. Has a 7 3/4 inches long blade, from tip to Tsuba, one hole, w/ Kanji on both sides of the tang. Tang is cut in a "V" shape. Has a very clear, clean temper line which I simply couldn't photograph well. Tsubas is a simple affair of copper, and both end caps appear to be made of some sort of hard resin. The wrap is an odd greenish color, whereas the scabbard "skin" is a light blue, with some fading near the seam. The Menuki appears to be a silver colored metal, and depicts what appears to be leaves and flowers. The overall length of the blade from end to end is 10 3/4 inches, and the overall length in its sheath is 12 7/8 inches. It appears to have some legitimate age, and the blade appears to be very well made. Can anyone enlighten me as to possible age, maker, etc? Some pix below for your perusal, however they don't do it much justice I'm afraid. Thank you in advance for any help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Milton; 09-07-2014, 03:37 PM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The shape of the blade is shobuzukuri, a form popular from the mid 17th c. to the early 18th c. For me, I would need a far crisper picture of the mei as it is indistinct for me to read it. Possibly one of our other colleagues have better eyes than me.

Comment

Thank you Bob. I will try and post some better shots of it as soon as I'm able. Thx for taking the time to comment.

Comment

Fitting don't look japanese to me western made??
                And the tang looks artificially aged
                Could it be a Chinese copy?
                May we have better photos of the blade

Comment

Thanks for commenting. Which "fitting" doesn't appear Japanese in your opinion? IF it were a "Chinese copy", I'd at least expect them to make an attempt at Japanese "looking" fittings....It's not very fancy at all, in fact, however appears quite well made. As for the blade, I admit the photos are not good, bad light and old camera, however the blade is far superior, quality wise (IMO), than any Chinese copy that I've personally seen at least. As for artificial aging, not in my opinion. It appears in hand, to have nice, even age patina. I'd expect that the external fittings are most likely much more recent than the blade, which I assume is usually the case in these instances, if in fact, period. Thank you again for commenting on my thread.

Comment

I would not consider this to be a Chinese piece. The polished samezaya is typical of Japanese work. The fittings are plain which is not unusual, expecially if carried by a samurai. The menuki certainly show the characteristics of Japanese work. The polished black horn mekugi is something I have only seen on true Nihonto.

Comment

"Horn", yes, that's what the scabbard and hilt fittings are most likely made of. Escaped my mind as I was typing up the descriptions. That's certainly what they appear to be. Thank you again for the additional information, Bob.

Comment

The only thing that really stands out as odd to me are the colors of the Ito and Saya
                        Don't get me wrong I am by no means any kind of authority but I don't recall ever seeing a true Samurai period piece in this type of color mounts Take the color out of the equation and it seems to be a legitimate typical type piece.More pictures should provide additional info. Best wishes G.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff Ward View Post
                          The only thing that really stands out as odd to me are the colors of the Ito and Saya
                          Don't get me wrong I am by no means any kind of authority but I don't recall ever seeing a true Samurai period piece in this type of color mounts Take the color out of the equation and it seems to be a legitimate typical type piece.More pictures should provide additional info. Best wishes G.
                          The colors are unusual but not unknown from the Edo Period.

Comment

Thats a fake for sure.

Comment

Sorry it's just looks wrong to me
                              Perhaps photos of the blade will help
                              You can buy horn mekugi off eBay

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X