WW2 Japanese Toe Tag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Japanese Toe Tag?

Picked this up and have no clue what it is, I was thinking it may be a toe tag of some type?
    Attached Files

I've seen these pop up once in a while here on WAF. From what I recall, it is a civilian name disk. This one is named to Yoshimura.

吉村
    Yoshimura

Comment

Perhaps:

[or ?]
      砲 浦
      =======
      吉村

2 [or Shou/sei - main?]
      Beach Gun [either hou-ura or ura-hou?]
      ======
      Yoshimura

--Guy

Comment

thanks

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment

Could be navy. Please PM me if it's for sale

Comment

Could be a navy helmet tag.

Comment

Originally posted by NARVIK1940 View Post
              Could be a navy helmet tag.
              I'm new to Japanese uniforms, etc., and am unfamiliar with so many details. Do you have an example of this sort of tag being used on a helmet? (Combat or tropical?)

Thanks,
              --Guy

Comment

WW2 Japanese Toe Tag?

I am no expert. I have a shipboard Japanese helmet with a wooden tag with the name and rank of the officer that wore it. This tag of yours could be for something else I suppose.

"Beach gun" seems to be a big clue that this is a military tag, anyway.

Comment

Many tags were field improvised such as you occasionally find attached to items. These are usually wood blocks with inked kanji. " dog tags" for army were brass. Navy sometimes used plastic or metal ovals that were tack stitched around pocket area.

Comment

Don't go by speculation on the characters nearly obliterated at the top. I see nothing about beach guns. The only thing for sure is the name.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Komiya View Post
                      Don't go by speculation on the characters nearly obliterated at the top. I see nothing about beach guns. The only thing for sure is the name.
                      Nick,

GUILTY! I was trying to read the tea leaves .... But your caution is 100% appropriate -- and a reminder that we should not over-translate.

--Guy

Comment

I think the left character is another character form of rifle (槍、銃) instead with a (stone), so 石仓 (this is my closest answer), an uncommon character nowadays, but common back than maybe.

The second word is (Ho) - Auxiliary, replace, reserve

So 石仓 補 (Sou Ho) - Rifle Rreserve

Regards,
                        Taka
                        Last edited by J7W22007; 03-31-2014, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Once again, sorry I don't see it. Speculation and guessing is dangerous, as they will circulate as fact where there is no such fact.

Comment

toe tag

toe tag
                            Attached Files

Comment

Without being able to read Japanese, It looks a lot like todays modern Triage tags. We use them in the Fire service any time we have 5 or more patients at one incident. We don't put them on their toe, per se. Imagine the look on someones face, if they were not critically injured and you tied a tag to their toe

PG-

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X