• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$600-800 in my oppinion
    bit more for the knot

Comment

Originally posted by Blacksmith Life View Post
      So, let me first say that I know Diddly Q. Squat about Japanese swords.

That said, I've been doing militaria stuff for a bit.

Right or wrong, my thinking is this: If you've been eye-balling it since November, so have a bunch of other folks. Seeing the other items this cat has in cases, I would imagine he is a pretty good draw for collectors.

Japanese swords have an allure that seems to transcend collecting focus - meaning that guys that aren't even really into Japanese stuff seem to be drawn to them. So, I'd wager that it's been back and forth over the counter a bunch.

Now, this is anecdotal speculation, but after 5+ months of sitting in the store, what might that indicate?

Howdy! That's what I've been thinking. The piece is definitely overpriced, but I can talk him down, especially when he bought the piece at his own auction for $900.00. The place is out of the way, little known, but they do have good prices on a few items, albeit their badges and helmets are usually fake or restored shells. My question is on the other side of the nakago (opposite mei) there is a few lines of kanji running it's length (about five rows). I've handled quite a few blades, but haven't seen this on a Showato.

Comment

A few last pics to add. Although the others shows only a little of the hamon, in person you can tell it is hand-forged w/ a type of Choji-gunome patern.
        Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately the lowest he will take is $2200 due to the fact that it is "one of the best blades he has ever seen."
          Attached Files

Comment

He probably is a novice and feels that some kanji on the nakago and a wavy hamon mean a traditionally made blade of significant value and as such has set the price far too high. He may also not be aware that the terms Showato and gendaito have both literal meanings as well as the ones used in the analysis of traditionally and non-traditionally made swords.

You gave it a good try but it's time to move on in my view. I'm sure another blade worthy of a place in your collection will present itself in time.

Regards,
            Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
              He probably is a novice and feels that some kanji on the nakago and a wavy hamon mean a traditionally made blade of significant value and as such has set the price far too high. He may also not be aware that the terms Showato and gendaito have both literal meanings as well as the ones used in the analysis of traditionally and non-traditionally made swords.

You gave it a good try but it's time to move on in my view. I'm sure another blade worthy of a place in your collection will present itself in time.

Regards,
              Stu
              Stu,

Thanks! Yeah, I started putting myself in denial, haha! It is beautiful with a nice background but I also believe he put it that high due to the fact he stated he will place it in his collection if it doesn't sell. Now to find my lovely Nagamitsu!

Happy Hunting,
              Lev

Comment

See what Daniel might have ...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...er.php?u=57113

Great fellow to deal with and I believe he was selling a gendaito Nagamitsu recently.

Regards,
                Stu

Comment

Best Guess of "The Far Side"

I cannot clearly make out the first and last kanji so I add them in orange as a cautionary note; however, these choices are a fair "educated" guess. There is no way I can make out the patron Kobayashi's given name.

需小林**鍛

Oujiyu Kobayashi ** Kitae
                  Forged by Request of Kobayashi **

--Guy
                  Last edited by GHP; 04-13-2014, 04:12 AM. Reason: Change: "special order" to "by request"

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X