Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masafusa at Local Store

Hey guys!

There's this Masafusa I've been eyeing since I first saw it in November. Apparently one of the store employees bought it as the price at the Auction they put it in was low and he "prettied it up" with steel wool. Albeit it looked nice before, it still looks good as he knew not to change the geometry of the sword. It is a bring back from the Philippines with high grade mounts (says has been scratched up a little bit and some of the rayskin has fallen off) with a company grade tassel. The blade has two tiny nicks. The handle is 100% intact with smooth it ito due to its multitude of handling with fraying noted where a multitude of tries to remove the mekugi-Ana was attempted. It is signed by the Smith and polisher with two hot stamps (one with a multitude of kanji stating it being made of high-quality rust-resistant steel?). The ham on is a very flamboyant Choji pattern. They have it priced at about $2500, though I know the guys and they could lower it even with partial or outright trade.

My question is at that price, is it fair or is it high? I am particularly interested in it due to the blade as well as the history (would go well along my 32nd Infantry bring back T38!). I should have taken pics but my phone had died so all I have is words to visualize it. I am going back Wednesday to set a reserve for a piece I've placed with them and although it is an amazing blade, do not wish to jump the gun.

Thank y'all in advance!
    Lev

You mention ray skin falling off. Falling off what? The saya? It's not clear to me from your description. From that comment and the other in which you hint at stainless blade I am lead to believe you are describing a Kai-gunto. Is that correct? And if so why would there be a Company Grade tassel attached?

In my view not even the most competent of us will be able to provide a worthwhile opinion without the benefit of good quality photographs of the sword. The value of any edged weapon is in the blade. You mention the owner having taken steel wool to it. That's the kind of thing we must see the results of before being able to assess the damage and accompanying reduction in value.

At this time I'd recommend holding off on any offer to purchase.

Regards,
    Stu

Comment

Originally posted by Stu W View Post
      You mention ray skin falling off. Falling off what? The saya? It's not clear to me from your description. From that comment and the other in which you hint at stainless blade I am lead to believe you are describing a Kai-gunto. Is that correct? And if so why would there be a Company Grade tassel attached?

In my view not even the most competent of us will be able to provide a worthwhile opinion without the benefit of good quality photographs of the sword. The value of any edged weapon is in the blade. You mention the owner having taken steel wool to it. That's the kind of thing we must see the results of before being able to assess the damage and accompanying reduction in value.

At this time I'd recommend holding off on any offer to purchase.

Regards,
      Stu
      Sorry about that! Was tired and rambled a bit. No, the Ray skin is on the tsuka. He used a fine grit to the blade, but it resulted only on light to no surface scratches with all details of the hamon clear without any trouble to visualize it. When I saw the blade back in November, it was before he "cleaned it." I will go back Wednesday to take pics. The nicks are about a millimeter thick.

Comment

One thing of note is that these stamps are found on the blade as well.

Comment

Quick update! Very bad pics, but I was only able to snap a few before the auction started.
          Attached Files

Comment

More..
            Attached Files

Comment

a
              Attached Files

Comment

b
                Attached Files

Comment

c
                  Attached Files

Comment

My personal opinion is to let it be. The thought of an amateur cleaning something they shouldn't be cleaning scares me. Would you want your mechanic preparing your tax returns? I had a guy recently tell me I should sand sections of my sword with 2000 grit to see if it had activity. Ya, I don't think so. $2500 can buy you a lot of sword an amateur didn't mess with.

I was more distracted by he blades in the case. You'll have to let me know if he's got any San Antonio iron works patton knives or gerber mk2s in there.

Comment

No real damage appears to have been done if it need a polish before it was "cleaned" it still needs one
                      From the photos the blade appears to be machine made oil quenched
                      Not worth anywhere near. $2500

Comment

reeder,

That's what I'm wondering! It doesn't appear to be oil quenched and I have been researching the blade for quite some time. When I saw it in November, it was beautiful and looked to have a bit of activity. Unfortunately, one of the guys saw fit that it needed to be "shining a bit more" and while he didn't ruin any of the features, you can definitely see a bit of fine steel wool marks. Only a lil nick near the end of the blade. What is the deal with the stamp? Thanks for your advice thus far! I might be trading for that, that way, it'll be a fair deal. Only reason I want it is due to it's looks and that it is a 32nd ID bring back from the Philippines. (I know, I know, buy the item, not the story! )

Comment

Does it have the stamp?
                          On his sword it means the core is soft iron but they can still be oil quenched
                          I think $2500 is far too much for a showato it high for a gendiato by this smith

Comment

nickn,

Yep has both as shown! Dang, that's a shame that it might be a Showato but hopefully I can talk him down to it. I would love to have it but if it is, what do y'all think would be a fair value?

Comment

So, let me first say that I know Diddly Q. Squat about Japanese swords.

That said, I've been doing militaria stuff for a bit.

Right or wrong, my thinking is this: If you've been eye-balling it since November, so have a bunch of other folks. Seeing the other items this cat has in cases, I would imagine he is a pretty good draw for collectors.

Japanese swords have an allure that seems to transcend collecting focus - meaning that guys that aren't even really into Japanese stuff seem to be drawn to them. So, I'd wager that it's been back and forth over the counter a bunch.

Now, this is anecdotal speculation, but after 5+ months of sitting in the store, what might that indicate?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X