Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 SOS Japanese Militaria Photos

Hi Guys,

As always there are some of us who have to stay home and protect the women and children. We depend on your photos to provide us with a window into the show. Let's see what Japanese items were there!

Regards,
    Stu

I second that Stu! I wish I could attend, but am waiting anxiously to see what I missed

PG-

Comment

2014 sos

Well, the 2014 SOS is in the bag. It was a very nice show, from my perspective. I know that Tom snapped some photos for posting, so hopefully he will be downloading those sometime soon.
      I am sitting in the airport in Louisville, waiting for my plane, hoping it will arrive and then be able to leave. There is a large winter storm approaching, and quite a few folks are planning on spending a few extra days getting to visit Kentucky (whether they want to or not!).
      In any case, here is what I can report, based upon personal observance and conversations: senninbari were in short supply. I did buy a nice one at a good price, and was able to re-sell it. I found a very nice good luck flag with a beautiful colorful tiger painted on it. The flag came from a fellow that I had met at this last year's MAX Show. He brought it to the SOS, and we made a deal. There were a number of good luck flags, but not an over abundance, and I did not see anything too special, other than what Tom brought to show me.
      In addition to that, I found a rare Japanese funeral nobori, and 2 small minty nobori to the same soldier, in their original box. There were also a few dealers with photo albums (not a lot) and a number of loose photos for sale. I purchased quite a few nice images of nobori banners, showing their artwork.
      I had one fellow show me a nice hand stitched woolen Navy rayed flag that he bought for $700. It was in the 3 X 5 foot range. He back a day or 2 later with a Japanese Commodore's pennant, roughly in the same size, and of the same construction, that he paid $850 for...
      There were a number of navy daggers for sale in the 750-950 range. I also saw a nice railway dagger that I think sold in the $1200-1500 range. Swords were fairly plentiful, although I heard that fake NCOS swords were everywhere.
      I saw one NLF jacket that was priced in the $600 range. As for helmets, there were a number of army ones, and only a couple of navy brass anchor ones. I saw one nice navy stencil anchor helmet with net that sold for $1800. There were also a number of army pilot badges, one was a later production badge with beautiful frosting, nearly minty, for $1400. I also saw a couple of cased navy second class ratings badges, and one boxed 2nd class aviation badge. There were plenty of army and navy field caps available.
      As for patches and insignia, I saw a rare bullion prison guard's cap insignia and some nice navy patches with both enameled and sewn colored chrysanthemum designations. There were a few round ratings, but not too many.
      I also saw a nice condition navy helmet cover priced at $4500. Ouch!!! There were lots of bayonets, most priced very well. There were plenty of rifles, Nambu's and a nice Grandpa Nambu's that sold for a reasonable price.
      So, there's your initial update. I may be here for some time, waiting to get home, so if you have questions, ask away.
      MikeB

Comment

2014 sos

Here is an addition to my earlier post. I made a mistake on the navy ratings badges. There were 2 of the enameled 1st class ones that were cased. One was aviation and the other was communications. They were priced at $2200 and $1800 respectively. I don't remember the price of the boxed 2nd class aviation badge. As for the helmet prices, they were mostly high. Pretty standard army helmets in average condition were priced in the $800-$950 price range. None of those were moving. One average army helmet was even listed at a ridiculous $1200. I did see one very minty army helmet priced at $800 sell for $750. I also saw a brass anchor navy helmet priced at $1400 or $1500, but it did not sell.
        MikeB

Comment

Thanks Mike. Nice concise report there!

Comment

2014 sos

Lampwick

My pleasure! Still sitting here in the airport watching them cancel flights all around me. Folks heading west (AZ and CA) and those heading north to (MI and MN) will be staying here for the next day or so. Those of us heading south are still looking good. Fingers crossed....

MikeB

Comment

Well..Safe Home as we say in the Old Country.

Comment

Thanks Mike I hope you get moving soon and don't turn into the Tom Hanks Character from the movie "The Terminal" Safe travels!

PG-

Comment

Probably be more like 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles'.

Comment

Great report, Mike. Good to meet you at the show and talk for a bit.

By the way, the navy stencil anchor helmet with net sold for $1500.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampwick View Post
                      Probably be more like 'Planes, Trains and Automobiles'.
                      seriously!

PG-

Comment

my sos it started out very slow no sales wednesday night or all day thursday. every one was looking and comparing prices and condition but on friday everything changed.

i had a so so friday saturday was the best day i ever had at the sos in ten years. i went form the worst show to my very best you just never know.

but on the other hand i look very hard for things to buy 90% of what i was looking for was just junk. the other 10% the prices were just to high for the quality.

i pay top dollar for things when i buy for my collection but i expect top condition and it was not there this year.

i did pick up one japanese sword for my collection but i had brought there for me .
                        Last edited by BOB C; 03-02-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I echo what Mike said: A very nice show. It was great to meet the many posters on the various forums we belong to. The Banzai show and tell meeting was quite interesting, with some rare items being presented. A collector brought in a 120mm Japanese mortar shell, something you don't see every day. There was also Nambu T14 pistol serial marked #1 which was shown. Some very nice stuff! I have added a few pics. from the Japanese heavy dealers at the show. Hopefully a few more pics. will make their way to WAF soon. If any of you guys see anything you can't live without on the tables (sorry, pics. not the best) please shoot me off a pm and I can direct you to the dealer who was showing the item.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately, I was only able to take photos the last day in the afternoon, so there was some packing up around this time.
                            Attached Files

Comment

More
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X