No announcement yet.

Repatriating Samurai swords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to the swords....the problem is the guy who owns them knows ***nothing*** about militaria of any kind. So he's being blown about by the four winds right now, getting random opinions off his work mates, friends and so on. So you can imagine where the "repatriation" issue came from. Probably Pawn Stars.

I could honestly live without the swords. They were just mentioned in passing after he and I did another deal last year. I will probably chuck a low offer at him and if he bites, he bites.

Thanks for all your comments and the interesting debate about skulls etc.

Comment

It is incorrect to say that the Japanese Government will directly pay for the return of an important sword. The famous sword collector, the late Dr. Walter Compton, found an important missing national treasure sword. He returned it to the national museum gratis and was decorated by the Japanese Government for his deed. Dr. Compton was also the head of Miles Laboratories, makers of Alka Selzer, which he invented and made him wealthy. Following the return of the sword, Miles Laboratories was allowed to open facilities in Japan, which had been impossible prior to the return of the sword.
      Dr.Compton was a friend and had many collections. He was known world wide for his collection of oriendtal carpets and antique classic cars. The swords were his real love and I had the opportunity many times to visit the vault in his house.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Coleman View Post
        Dr.Compton was a friend ... I had the opportunity many times to visit the vault in his house.
        Bob, that is fantastic. At most all I'll ever have are the famous Christie's catalogs, but to have actually examined his collection in person... What a privilege.

Comment

One of Dr. Compton's passions was to take out his collection of Inoye Shinkai blades which he collected by year! He had fourteen. I sold him my wakizashi which was a year he did not have at my cost. Most serious collectors would not have the opportunity to own one. Sadly, some of the collection was looted by one of two individuals who Dr. Compton allowed to have private access. Many blades I saw never showed up in the auctions following his death. I have always had my opinion who it was as the guy was sort of a low life and never would have gotten close to Dr. Compton when he was still sharp. One of the missing pieces was my wakizashi. Unfortunately, it was impossible for the family to prove.

Comment

One of Dr. Compton's passions was to take out his collection of Inoye Shinkai blades which he collected by year! He had fourteen.
            This is on another level entirely. I don't think I've seen fourteen Inoue Shinkai photographed in my studies, total—let alone all in one place… in person no less!

Sadly, some of the collection was looted by one of two individuals who Dr. Compton allowed to have private access…Unfortunately, it was impossible for the family to prove.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X