Japanese Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nick,

You are quite correct, absent any provenance this flag cannot be directly tied to any tokko units. However, this is the first flag I've seen with these slogans. Granted, my comment is based solely on what I've seen on this and another forum, so I'm not well-schooled.

Have you seen these tokko-related slogans on many yosegaki flags? A few? I'm trying to expand my knowledge.

Thanks,
    --Guy

Comment

Yes, there are quite a few flags with references to Tokko. After all, 一億総特攻、"Tokko of the entire 100 million (popuation)" was the last ditch rally call. The entire population was to follow the example of the Tokko pilots and sacrifice themselves for ones country. Everyone felt being on the same boat as the pilots, so "Tokko Spirit" and everything else written on the flag may very well be only a snapshot of the Zeitgeist. For a true Tokko context to apply, there needs to be other more neutral references to Tokko such as Yokaren, etc. Readiness to die like the Tokko pilots was on the minds of a big part of the population or at least that was the politically correct way to respond to such a public voicing of ones opinions as signing a flag. at the end of the war
      Last edited by Nick Komiya; 01-25-2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Many thanks Nick! My personal reference-database has just been expanded.

--Guy

Comment

Yep, as always, thank you for you input Nick, first time I see one traduced too. So it's worth remembering the kanjis, and with a bit of luck I'll be able to find one for my own collection.
          Very beautiful flag anyway! :]

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X