Japanese Flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Flag

Can I get some help with translation of the writing on this flag, my friends grandfather had in the New Guinea campaign, is it all signatures or is there something else of relevance?

THX
    Steve
    Attached Files

Hi Steve,

Looks like you've got yourself an IJN Tokkou-Tai (Kamikaze) signed flag !!

神風 (Shinpu) - God Wind

Kamikaze is actually an English Japanese pronunciation.

Correct Japanese pronunciation is Shinpu (IJN use only).

特攻隊 (Tokkou-Tai) - Special Attack Unit

一機一艦 (Ii-Ki Ii-Kan) - One aircraft One Warship

Might be written around late 1944~1945.

Please take very good care of this flag because the individuals who wrote this flag might ended up for Kamikaze missions. A very sad piece of history.

Regards,
    Taka
    Last edited by J7W22007; 01-23-2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks again Taka!

Comment

Wow!

Even if the flag turns out not to be "kamikaze" related ... it has some great slogans!

Has anyone seen any other flag with these "kamikaze" sayings?

--Guy

Comment

Originally posted by GHP View Post
          Wow!

Even if the flag turns out not to be "kamikaze" related ... it has some great slogans!

Has anyone seen any other flag with these "kamikaze" sayings?

--Guy
          Guy, Can you let us know what some of them are?

THX Steve

Comment

Originally posted by sgabrie854 View Post
            Guy, Can you let us know what some of them are?

THX Steve
            Steve,

The ones that Taka pointed out [my comments in green]:

神風 (Shinpu) "Kamikaze"
            特攻隊 (Tokkou-Tai) - Special Attack Unit [ie: Kamikaze or Banzai Charges]

一機一艦 (Ii-Ki Ii-Kan) - One aircraft One Warship
            ===============
            Possible writings of pilots or future pilots:

决戦の大空へ Kessen no Dai-zora e: "Decisive Battle into the Great Sky". Apparently this was the theme song of a movie; the song was first released on 10 September 1943.

雄飛 Yūhi [lit. "Heoric Flying [lit. "jump"]" but dictionary means "Launching out, embarking (on a career)];" Nelson's says "flying jump; great achievement." Does anyone think it could have a double-meaning/pun for pilots??

Other syings on your flag but not pilot or "Kamikaze"-related:
            一心 Isshin! "one heart", "one mind"
            鬪魂
            Tōkon! Fighting Spirit
            七生報国 Shichisei Hōkoku "Seven Lives Dedicated to the Country"
            祈武運長久 Ki BuUn Chōkyū "Pray for Everlasting Fortunes in Battle"

--Guy
            Last edited by GHP; 01-23-2014, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Another Saying

This one at the 5 o'clock position. Not certain of the first kanji, but MIGHT be "help"

teki Johi
              Help the enemy be like fire

And I cannot tell if the last two kanji to the left (beginning with ) are part of the saying, or part of a name. If a name, it is only the surname. I just cannot make out that last kanji! (or the first kanji for that matter).

Cheers!
              --Guy

Comment

Thanks guy!

Comment

Yet Another Saying

And at the 2 o'clock position (upside down in your image) is what looks like

見敵呑敵
                  Miteki Nonteki
                  See the enemy, drink the enemy

Perhaps that's like saying "eat the enemy's lunch"???

--Guy

Comment

Wow, it is the Holy Grail!

I have to keep the slogans in mind, already learn 一機一艦 because it is easy to spot.
                    I do not even see the Shinpu kanjis nor the Tokko-Tai shame on me!

Comment

Originally posted by Staldion View Post
                      Wow, it is the Holy Grail!

I have to keep the slogans in mind, already learn 一機一艦 because it is easy to spot.
                      I do not even see the Shinpu kanjis nor the Tokko-Tai shame on me!
                      神風Shinpu is on the top right about 2 o'clock -- at precicely a 45ยบ angle (it is upside down in the image). It is written in a "cursive" style, so use your imagination. The will be easier to make out than .

特攻隊 Tokko Tai is at the 6 o'clock position, sideways. The full quote is:
                      特攻隊精心
                      Tokko-tai Seisshi
                      "Pure Heart [or Excellence] of the Special Attack Force."

--Guy

Comment

Great Flag Steve, You should get all the information about your friends Grandfather and keep it with the flag. It will just add to the flags history. If grandpa is still alive, even better. Get some pics of him with the flag, and a written statement, that would be over the top!

PG-

Comment

Thank you Guy! I got it now, I hate to be in front of a treasure and miss the details.
                          The cursive one was hard to guess for me.

This is an amazing flag, congratulation Steve, looks like you have a story to collect and take care, it's a great testimony of the war.

Comment

Thanks to all those who put time into this translation, my friend was very happy to get to know more about this flag. I have done some reasearch for him about his grandfather but will not post anything unless he gives me the OK first. Unfortunately the vet passed away very young in the 1950s as did to my surprise while researching, did many of his company unit members. They were part of an Army Air Force unit in the New Guinea / Philippine campaign, non-flight status. His grandmothers claims it was due to breathing issues. As an army aircrew member myself and Iraq veteran, I too was discharged for breathing issues in 2011. Would make a great PHd project, as I suspect the WWII vets deaths are very much related.

Steve

Comment

One should not get carried away with the Tokko-related slogans, as these were standard slogans towards the end of the war, as they captured the desparate last-ditch resolve of the population. By the same token, one cannot call this a paratrooper flag, although the word Divine Soldiers of the Sky appears, which has referred to paras since 1942.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X