Some Japanese Headgear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jareth, Doug and bodes!

Yes, I think too the helmet was repainted.

Jareth, the sword is not a copy or reproduction. It's a TACHI - sword for two hands from Japan. The blade was made and is signed for the sword maker KIKUHIDE, from the SHOWA 17 period ( 1926 - 1989 ). It was made for an officer in WWII. That sword was a gift from the Emperor for the ex-President of Brazil, the General João Batista Figueiredo. The sword was cleaned, and was bought in the auction of goods of the General, deceased few years ago.

Otto

Comment

headgear

Here is my only piece of Japanese headgear. It's the only one I've ever seen of this type.
      Tony
      Attached Files

Comment

Full

Side view.
        Attached Files

Comment

The back

Back.

Comment

Opps!

Here is the back.
            Attached Files

Comment

Marking

Inside marking.
              Attached Files

Comment

Inside

Inside of the cap.
                Attached Files

Comment

Very nice army enlisted mans field cap! Great example!

Comment

Help with cap

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with this Navy cap I'm interested in. Good, bad, fair price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Comment

BenVK,

I took a quick peek at the cap and offer the following comments:

1) The cap is winter service cap.
                      2) The two white stripes are for an officer.
                      3) I am unfamiliar with the bullion anchor and cherry blossom insignia.
                      4) The rectangular label on the inside crown of the cap is atypical.
                      5) The Japanese Navy used winter service caps in the 1930 through about 1942 when the Japanese stopped making the winter (and summer) service cap(s) and starting making the (green-colored) late war or Model 3 (i.e., 1943) service cap(s). AND, perhaps more importantly, the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force used the winter (and summer) service cap(s) after the war and they still use them today to the best of my knowledge.
                      6) I have seen very few real World War II era Navy officer's winter service caps and a lot of reproduction and post war Maritime caps.
                      7) You may wish to ask the seller if the seller knows what time period the cap in question is from. (My guess is that the cap is a post war Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force cap.) A close-up photo of the label, as well as a close-up photo of the inside of the cap where the insignia is sewn into place, would be helpful also.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Originally posted by BenVK
                      Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could help me with this Navy cap I'm interested in. Good, bad, fair price?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
                      Last edited by Eric Doody; 11-26-2004, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Even from the poor picture, the tag appears to be JSDF....post-war. I collect JSDF and it's a great hat, but not worth $175.

the other eric

Comment

Thank you both, my knowledge of Japanese caps has just doubled in the space of a few minutes..

Comment

Eric (a.k.a Blinky),

Out of curiosity, have you seen the bullion anchor and cherry blossom insignia before on Japanese Navy Maritime Self-Defense Force caps?

Eric

Originally posted by blinky
                            Even from the poor picture, the tag appears to be JSDF....post-war. I collect JSDF and it's a great hat, but not worth $175.

the other eric

Comment

Not like this one Eric. I passed on an early 1960's officer cap like this with a bullion insignia on the front because the condition of the insignia was too good for the condition of the cap. The one I saw had a bullion anchor with a brass mum attached with prongs. When I get a chance tonight I'm going to go through my materials and see what I can find about it though.

eric

Comment

Eric (a.k.a. Blinky),

Thanks for the information.

There must be a bunch of variations when it comes to the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force caps.

I have seen a number of Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force caps over the years as folks show them to me thinking that the caps are World War II era caps. Sad thing is that some of the Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force caps are pretty close to their World War II counterparts.

Eric

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X