BunkerMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I won the auction. Did I pay "funny money"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey gentlemen,
    I'm trying many different ways to display and I beileve this is how this important historical piece will be displayed. I wish there was a way to work in Dr. Bortner's write-up, but its just too space consuming. I purchased a display case made of wood with a latch and hinges to where you can easily open it. The material filling it was like you see in Riker mounts. I purchased a black felt material and covered the exisiting mounting material. I then decided that having an info card title The Battle of Saipan with a picture of the PFC from 2010 below that and the following...

This piece of Japanese Omamori artwork was recovered by PFC. ***********,
    20th Regiment (Engineers) 4th Marine Division, during the Battle of Saipan,
    June 15th - July 9th, 1944. PCF. ***** recovered it advancing on Saipan while
    laying communication wire. This Japanese good luck amulet and artwork belonged to a sailor in the Imperial Japanese Navy named Okamura Izumi. It includes extensive documentation, translaton and a signed detailed letter from PFC *******

I didn't take the liberty of presuming it was a NLF sailor. What is also nice about this is that this display box allows me to take all documentation and put it below the items in the case for extra-safe keeping. Or I could put a folder on back of it for everything. The frame is about 16 x 20 I believe.

QUESTION!!!!! To iron or not to iron...to trim loose strands or not trim loose stands. What say you guys? Thanks!

Regards,
    Joel
    Attached Files

Comment

Really neat stuff! Thank you for sharing!!

Scott

Comment

Hello Joel,
        Fantastic items with provenance.
        I would recommend not trimming or ironing. If held fairly tight against the glass, most wrinkles will eventually come out.
        Ralph.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I rolled the dice and sent an e-mail to the Marine who's e-mail address was included with all the paperwork and his letter. Turns out the PFC is still with us and doing very well. He has been working on his "memoirs" about his time in the Pacific and has in on DVD (he said DVD, I suspect CD) and he is going to be sending it to me. He seemed delighted to hear from someone who ended up with some of the stuff he sold. He said I was the first to contact him. I'm hoping to keep communicating with him. I did ask if he might have, easily available, a jpg of him in uniform during WWII. I think it would go nice with the display. I just can't imagine how his family didn't have interest in this items he brought back.

Regards,
          Joel

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X